Can 1 bike make 2 retrobikers happy ? Jamis content.

retroyetirigid

Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
I think the answer is yes in this case.
Quite a conveluted story, but quite a few years ago I aquired a Jamis Dakar Sport frame that the previous owner thought was damaged beond ecenomical repair (cracked and bent gear hanger & dropout). On closer inspection at home only slight bend and iffy thread to the gear hanger and NO CRACK :shock: :D . So I build it up and start using it.

Move on to about May last year and a bike comes in to work for repair. A pretty much original Jamis Dakar Sport, exactly the same frame as mine only the next size down. I should point out that I don't think that Jamis bikes are that common (though there are a few on here ;) ), so seeing another like mine was a pleasant suprise.

I happend to mention to fellow retrobiker, Pyro Tim, about it when he visited the shop, showed him it and he said that it was the same as the one he had BITD. "What happened to it ?" I asked. "The dropout was damaged so I gave it to some guy for fixing my bike" he said. "I think I may be 'That Guy' :shock: " I replyed. Was instructed to ask customer if he'd like to sell it when he came to pick it up. Several phone calls (left messages mostly) to customer, but no collection. In the mean time, Tim keeps asing about it and we agree that if the customer wants to sell it, I have the bike and give Tim his frame (and forks) back.

Last month my boss says that the storage charge for it means that is has to be sold. To which I say "I'll have it !! I'll give you a couple of bikes to sell for it". He was happy to do that. Well this week I managed to sort a couple of half reasonable bikes out for him and today I aquired this :D :D :D
P4111125_zpsaa1b032b.jpg

P4111136_zpsd9fd9945.jpg

P4111135_zps6f2c2214.jpg

P4111134_zpsc8d6b940.jpg

P4111129_zps75033813.jpg

P4111130_zps5ba766c8.jpg

P4111127_zps6f887aee.jpg

P4111128_zps538ab8ca.jpg

P4111133_zps772a697c.jpg

P4111132_zpsf292615d.jpg

P4111131_zps81135b77.jpg

This is exactly how I got it, haven't even given it a wipe over yet. Only a couple of things I want to do to it. They are, fit the correct R/H crank cap (L/H is original), find some period grips, shorten the front brake outer and reset the straddle cable length, remove the reflectors and RIDE IT !! (I'll probably fit SPD's as well).

So unbeknown to Tim at the moment, he's just become the owner of his frameset (again) :D . Aiming to take it to mayhem this year, though, its got several other bikes to compete with to get there.

Great stuff! Who on earth doesn't bother picking up a bike though?
Dibs on the reflectors (not really)

Re:

Great score!
It's amazing how many Jamis there are around our area.
Viceroy must have sold a fair few from their old unit before they closed up!
Those Spectre bars and stem are bloody rare...mainly because they had a tendancy to fail during use, so go carefull ;)

oh shit, another bike to build up :facepalm: :LOL: :D

I'm sure my drop out was cracked though BITD. Will need to inspect to be sure. The colour in the pics seems different in real life

the wheel reflectors and spoke protector should remain on in my rules. If they've survived this long, they have to stay. The front reflector can go though ;)

Back