Black Country Steel

weeman_mtb

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Well this is the bit I'm not too good at...build threads.

I've built quite a few bikes that you guys haven't seen but I think it would be a shame not to share these two. Both of these frames were built very locally to me, one in Dudley, one in Smethwick, both towns fall within an area known as "The Black Country".

I'm very much at the beginning with these two, don't know how quick I'm going to get either one built up, the rougher of the two will be getting new paint. I've got a lot of the parts ready to build the one, haven't decided 100% on the second, sorry guys there won't be any Campag.

That's all for now, have a look at a couple of photos. :D

Attachments

• Zinn & Orbit 1.JPG
    Zinn & Orbit 1.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,246
  • Zinn Z Classic.JPG
    Zinn Z Classic.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,246
  • Orbit Cliffhanger.JPG
    Orbit Cliffhanger.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,246
Excellent, I will be in a minority but am more drawn to the orbit.

I have just picked this up (a lot lower down the pecking order mind)

Do either need a repaint? Would be a shame unless you have to, both look more than decent from those pics.

Any build ideas at all yet?

coomber":3uqmwz1z said:
Do either need a repaint? Would be a shame unless you have to, both look more than decent from those pics.

I'm afraid the Orbit is a lot worse than it looks in the photos, it's going to definitely need paint. There's a set of decals (currently lost) in the post from was8v so it should turn out pretty decent although the silver splatter effect will be lost.

I'm undecided on the kit for the Orbit, a toss up between DX and LX (M550) at the moment.

The Zinn will be getting XT, I just can't justify spending the money that Campag is going for now.

weeman_mtb":s0mlk823 said:
coomber":s0mlk823 said:

I'm afraid the Orbit is a lot worse than it looks in the photos, it's going to definitely need paint.

Shame. I owned an America 531c road bike (silver & purple with diamond/fade effects) from the same stable not so long ago, and Orbits of that era often had very distinctive paint jobs which are difficult to do justice to with touch-ups or resprays.

David

Those are two great looking frames.

If they were mine, I'd definitely throw as much Dx kit at the Orbit as I could find and then take my time with an XT or XTR build up of the Zinn.

I have to agree with Coomber, I really like the look / shape of the Orbit even though the Zinn is a really classy and iconic bike.

Thanks for the comments so far, I must admit I feel a little under pressure seeing a couple of the names "signing in".

I think I'm swinging towards DX on the Orbit NeilM, I've got most of that groupset kicking about. Some of it is on my Proflex 552 so I'll swap it for the LX which is the original spec for the Proflex anyway (sort of win-win :) ).

The Zinn will probably be the bike that comes together the quickest because apart from a polish and some gentle touching up, it's good to go. It won't be to everyone's taste but I believe that XT is an improvement on the original kit that this would have come with.

otherself":3ghovmar said:
love the orbit. had my eyes peeled for one for years, but no luck.
I'd been typing "orbit" into ebay on an almost daily basis for a good while before this one showed up (my size too). Then it was just a matter of outbidding this lot once it had found its way into the market-watch section :p .

If you want me to build the Zinn up properly I have a spare Campag groupset I can put on it, just send it over and I'll sort it out, I'll even cover postage.

Back