GT Talera (91'ish, I think!) - First Restoration

danfromleek

Dirt Disciple
Hi dudes!

So, I decided to get back in the saddle and grabbed myself a 91 GT Talera off Ebay today. Picked it up this morning, bit rough (particularly the matte black finish!) but just about ride-able and not all bad for £25!! One thing that is a bit wired is all the running gear (it seems to be a bit of a mis-match, if anyone can shed any light!)...

I am hoping to fully restore it, not sure whether to get it bcak to original (it is white under that black paint!), or go for a custom finish with a military matt green frame and forks then get black GT decals, get the silver stuff shining etc. WIll probably go down this route as it will be a bit quicker and not sure about the white finish anyway....

Well, onto the pics. Would love to hear everybodies suggestions of what to do with it (please bear in mind I have zero budget though!).

Great website by the way!!!

P1040862.jpg

P1040854.jpg

P1040867.jpg

P1040861.jpg

P1040857.jpg

P1040863.jpg

P1040860.jpg

Thanks for looking....

Spend a long time degreasing and cleaning it up if you are keeping the drivetrain.

Having sourced a similarly specced saracen of the same year, I would ditch the cranks if nothing else as they weigh a metric tonne.

How tall are you? Unless you are a giant I would ditch the stem as well. Any non branded one wont cost a bomb and improve it no end.

Jeez, did they just take the wheels off and spray black everywhere?

You've got your work cut out sorting that paint, but I like the sound of your plan.

Pretty much the lowest Shimano components, s a search through the for sale section here will get you some clean (or need cleaning) gear to replace all that for not a lot.

Yeah, the paint job is AWFUL. I think its gonna get stripped, scrubbed, frame and forks painted, put back together and components upgraded as and when.

The stem is jammed in at the moment, any tips?

Go to a hardware shop and get PLUSGAS or equivalent (think diesel works the same). Make a bung and leave it soaking. Its a penetrant and should help ease it up. Short sharp hit with a rubber hammer sometimes jars it as well, so it frees up.

Awesome, thanks dude!

The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to go for the military finish idea. Ultra clean but with a matt green frame...

Cool - great first project.

Those cranks aren't 200GS though - they are better - either low end suntour something like XCT or 300lx shimano - someone has 'upgraded' them with a sticker! :roll:

The rear mech is suntour - might not be as easy to set up with the shimano shifters and cassette - take you time and i'll work fine. :D

Thanks for the info dude, I would have had no idea that I actually have a better crankset than I though had you not pointed it out! Also, cheers for the advice on the rear mech, I took her out for test ride last night and was concerned as it seems set up all wrong but glad to hear I can fine tune it and it will work...

The test ride has unveiled quite a few other problems! There is excessive play in the bottom bracket (I believe it is a sealed unit so will need replacing, correct?), the rear hub is grinding horribly (again, I think it is sealed so cannot be serviced?) and the brakes need a full overhaul.

Its gonna be a long job but looking forward to stripping it right down and getting it all perfect :D

Back