Hi all, i'm NEW to this site. Need retro Kona advise please

Dwarf&danger

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

So glad ive found this site! :D

Ive just bought a retro 1997 Kona Cindercone & i want to swap off the project 2 forks for some retro suspension forks - was thinking some old bomber Z1's or Pace perhaps.

Can someone please help me here as i hav no idea about dimensions for this frame etc to make sure the forks actually fit :LOL:

Also the bike seems heavier than i remember from years ago when my mate had one. I'm fairly sure the original bike was an LX group set whereas this bike seems to have an alivio chainset & seems weighier than my chums old one, yet they are the same year - or maybe i'm getting weaker! :)

Thanks in advance to people that can help :)

Hi ya Dwarf and danger and welcome,

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=12327

there you will find the catalogue scan for konas for that year, might wanna look at the 98 catalogue also as i dont think the geometry of the frames changed for these years, you should be able to get some idea for period correct suspension forks wit hthe right amount of travel for your frame too from there, the catalogue will have the full original spec for your bike too.

there are also many many kona experts here of which im not one, you might want to post more specific questions in the main chat forum, can be anything, even ,can you recommend me a fork for such and such? etc,you will get a better response, this is where people post builds in progress and finished bikes mainly.

seems your bike has been changed somewhat also, as it came stock with mainly stx with a bit of lx

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... ewsIndex=1

hope that helps a bit

Charlieboy

A Z2 would suit it better than a Z1, especially if you're concerned about weight. You need one with a 1 1/8 steerer at least 8cm longer than the head tube.

The original specifications are in the catalogue on here. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=12327

If the bike feels heavy, the wheels and tyres are more likely the main culprit than kit like Alivio cranks.

Thanks for the catalogue link chaps, umm sorry to be thick but i'm not sure what info i need to extract from that :oops:

I know the bike is a 20" frame & i know know the steerer needs to be 1 1/8 - what other info do i need?

:D

oooh for a 20 inch frame your gonna want a relatively long steerer, measure the steerer from the p2s that are on it and you will have a better idea, a bit longer is cool as you can use spacers, too short is gonna cause your problems, so you want a long steerererered suspension fork 1, 1/8 with 80mm of travel, i have heard of people getting away with 100mm of travel and you might get a wider range of forks with this degree of travel, others will tell you it sharpen the angle too much and effects the steering.
search the site for ideas,

your p2s will be very much in demand too coz of that long steerer,so keep hold of them is my advice,
in fact i would stick with the p2s in anycase, but thats just my opinion, i got a cindy relatively recently , before that i hated the look of p2s ,now i think they are a beautiful thing, and just seem so right on the bike ;)

oooh 20" P2's, 1997, which one's if they differed.

I have a 20" frame that could do with then for an alternative

yeah they do look nice don't they :)

I won't part with them but rather was thinking of using the P2's for my daily commute to work & having an XC/DH fork that i can use whenever i wanna hit the trails? :)

Ive recently moved to a new area & already met some new riding buddies, but their bikes are all at least front suspension & i worry that i won't be as competitive without...

Is that true?

Dwarf&danger":1y6222ib said:
Just checked, it seems they need a 208mm steerer, does that sound correct? :)
If it's a size 20 frame (from centre of bb to top of seat tube), it should have a 15cm head tube and as I said you would need 8cm more than that of steerer. A 208mm steerer would be right for a size 19.

I am assuming that it is a 1997 frame (blue with yellow letters) and it has an ahead set up.

a matter of skill perhaps,you will have to choose your lines far more carefully but you will become a better rider for it, i heard of some guy on here who rides rigid over some very technical stuff and puts guys with front and full suss to shame,
though no suspension is less forgiving if you get it wrong, it all depends what your riding, suspension is heavier and not as good going up hill though, so pros and cons, horses for courses etc, all IMO though :LOL: :cool:

front supension gives me at least a bit more confidence to go that bit quicker

Back