1993 Raleigh Peak

Re:

... except for the inside of those chain rings - farmyard finish !

I've got no serial number or any other identifier on my bottom bracket...

Re: Re:

Crusader":dkoh48x9 said:
... except for the inside of those chain rings - farmyard finish !

Hehe... little by little... think of this as a rolling resto - it’s nowhere near finished yet. At some point I’ll take it off and clean it properly, but it’s not a priority.

More important - it rides lovely! Everything works really well and the frame is super comfy and lively feeling.

Priorities at the moment are better tyres, truing wheels and servicing hubs and headset. I may treat it to a new headset and shiny spokes... can’t decide whether to spend and improve or make do and enjoy...

Kona-Ian":s2jqbnh5 said:
How's it going then?
You got stickers yet?
Looking forward to riding mine.

:)

Not much happening to tell the truth - have been messing about with my two Clockworks...

Waiting on a set of tyres ordered from eBay. When they arrive I might take the opportunity to remove and measure a couple of spokes for a future wheel rebuild. Oh, and I'm going to put some bar-ends on. Then I'll take it for a ride...

After that the priorities are to check out the headset and possibly replace it, a longer seatpost, doing the bearings in the wheels and a good dose of taking apart, cleaning, polishing, and putting it back together...

Once I've been through everything I might treat it to a new set of decals. Don't hold your breath!

2 steps forward, 3 steps back...

Took it for a nice ride the other day. Was great but I had noticed that the back wheel was pretty out of shape from the rubbing of the rear brake.

Decided to give it a true, but first I thought I’d measure the spokes to see if I might have any suitable replacements (long shot as I’ve only got a handful of spokes).

Great news, I’ve got the right spokes... what a bit of luck.

Took the wheel apart. Unsurprisingly frozen nipples, leading to broken spokes...all good, I’m going to replace them anyway...

But then...On closer inspection the rim is goosed. Eyelets have lifted...

No problem, I’ve got some brand new 36 hole rims here, earmarked for something else, but why not use em on this?

Great. Only problem is, ERD is totally different. Spokes are too long...

:facepalm:

Attachments

• A54A40CE-3786-42D4-B588-373DF79720D3.jpeg
    A54A40CE-3786-42D4-B588-373DF79720D3.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 163
Didn't these come with a Flex stem as standard... just sayin... :)

My mates brother had one and I always thought it was a great bike.

*edit* Nope to the flex stem, that was the Apex!!

Bit of good fortune - managed to immediately pick up an NOS rim on eBay. This is obviously a lucky bike. The logo is different, looks earlier but what do I know... part of me feels it’s too nice for the bike, but it wasn’t expensive so I’m gonna go for it.

Rim arrived today, hub was stripped, serviced and cleaned up a few days ago...

I’m using black spokes. “Wrong” I know but hey, the wheel’s getting rebuilt, why not shout about it? I think it’s gonna look cool. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 2BAE78B0-8123-4EFC-A97B-583501526D34.jpeg
    2BAE78B0-8123-4EFC-A97B-583501526D34.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 119
  • BD9D54C7-884B-4EAE-9B9A-FDB484005F3B.jpeg
    BD9D54C7-884B-4EAE-9B9A-FDB484005F3B.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 119
Back