1993 Raleigh Peak

Oh wtf is wrong with me? It’s a 700c rim. Glad i only put 3 spokes in before working it out...

:facepalm:

I’m having one of those weeks!

Re:

Having had a look and checked ERDs of rims I have I think I might have another one that’ll do it... fingers crossed. New tyres are on their way so would be good to get it riding again!

Captain Stupido":1fj97s90 said:
2 steps forward, 3 steps back...

Took it for a nice ride the other day. Was great but I had noticed that the back wheel was pretty out of shape from the rubbing of the rear brake.

Decided to give it a true, but first I thought I’d measure the spokes to see if I might have any suitable replacements (long shot as I’ve only got a handful of spokes).

Great news, I’ve got the right spokes... what a bit of luck.

Took the wheel apart. Unsurprisingly frozen nipples, leading to broken spokes...all good, I’m going to replace them anyway...

But then...On closer inspection the rim is goosed. Eyelets have lifted...

No problem, I’ve got some brand new 36 hole rims here, earmarked for something else, but why not use em on this?

Great. Only problem is, ERD is totally different. Spokes are too long...

Bugger! Sorry about that. :(

MR OX":11herg8x said:
Captain Stupido":11herg8x said:
2 steps forward, 3 steps back...

Took it for a nice ride the other day. Was great but I had noticed that the back wheel was pretty out of shape from the rubbing of the rear brake.

Decided to give it a true, but first I thought I’d measure the spokes to see if I might have any suitable replacements (long shot as I’ve only got a handful of spokes).

Great news, I’ve got the right spokes... what a bit of luck.

Took the wheel apart. Unsurprisingly frozen nipples, leading to broken spokes...all good, I’m going to replace them anyway...

But then...On closer inspection the rim is goosed. Eyelets have lifted...

No problem, I’ve got some brand new 36 hole rims here, earmarked for something else, but why not use em on this?

Great. Only problem is, ERD is totally different. Spokes are too long...

Bugger! Sorry about that. :(

Don’t be daft. I’m very grateful. It got me on the road initially (good enough to find out I really liked the bike) and the hub will be reused. It was a very generous bit of karma! Shame about the rim but it’s not important...

Following parts being lost in transit (tyres, headset) and a few aborted attempts to rebuild the rear wheel, it seemed the “luck” mentioned earlier had disappeared... so I ended up deciding to spend my time building up my Giant (I’m glad I did!) In the the end the second set of tyres I ordered for the Peak went on that instead... poor Peak.

So this has now been relegated to “slightly shonky spare bike” status, getting an okay-ish mismatched spare rear wheel to make it rideable again. Oh, I put some bar ends on it.

For the time being it’s gone to the back of the queue, but at least it’s practical. It will get some love in future.

Attachments

• 9915DA7C-C255-42BA-A592-05BC3A2F7FD5.jpeg
    9915DA7C-C255-42BA-A592-05BC3A2F7FD5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
This has left the fleet... it’s found a good home... and I don’t have to feel guilty about leaving it in the corner.

Owner is a top retrobiker, I hope he’ll post some updates!

Back