chinese carbon forks

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
Are they as bad as some people say?

Long story short due to medical conditions worsening quicker than expected this is going to be my last year of entering cycling events and therefore I want to make it special. (hence the reason mayhem and twentyfour twelve are so important to me and I'm doing it for charity)

I want to build a rigid 29er. Trouble I have is the only rigid forks I can afford are the cheap chinese carbon ones on ebay but am cautious as have heard horror stories about them snapping so easily. This bike will only ever be used on road and light paths (canal paths sort of style) so won't be ridden in anger. It's just going to be used for longer distance rides so gravel paths and the rough Cornish roads are the worst it's going to encounter.

Before anyone says about just using a hybrid/gravel bike, it's not as easy as that. This is something I've always wanted to build and with it being my last chance I'm doing this not to make things easier but because I want to achieve this while I still can.

Re:

I had some Toseek full carbon rigid forks on my 29er for about a year (and it took its fair share of off road abuse) they were fine.
Try and pick up some "known brand" ones 2nd hand if you can, on-one, exotic etc would probably give more peace of mind.
You Could probably find some rigid steel forks if you are concerned about reliability.
Although if you want to "make it special" then I'd be inclined to stretch the budget to some branded forks tbh.

Attachments

• 20171202_123900-448x796.jpg
    20171202_123900-448x796.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,290
Re:

Stretching the budget isn't an option unfortunately. I'm funding this by selling whatever I can to raise the money. Supporting my dad as well as myself and looking toward future plans means I have about £200 to build a complete bike - yes that means cheaping out on some bits but the making it special is for the event rather than the bike so as long as the bike is along the lines of my plans I'll be happy.

I have been trying to find second hand with not much luck but will keep on looking. Known brand would be amazing but with a limited timescale to find the parts and build it I might have to settle for whatever I can get hence trying to find out if worst comes to worst and I have to make do with the chinese ones are they going to be ok? Reassuring that the toseek ones have survived for you as that was the ones I was looking at. (carbon steerers are always my biggest worry)

Might be an idea to search out a suitable complete 2nd hand bike that's within budget?

I find them very good. Haven't had any problems since 2012. But next time i'll buy Pace RC31. Not quite as light. But a good company and an excellent fork.

Re:

Yeah that was what I was worried about. I might have found an alternative in the form of a nice hybrid with disc brakes etc. Its going to work out cheaper in the long run and as much as I would love to build my dream bike I don't think it's realistically affordable at the moment. .

Back