Non retro, weight weenie, $1300 home built, Chinese carbon mountain bike racer.

Once is enough.

I said the same about kids, uet here I am with two.
This guy, Jeremiah Bishop, was a World Cup racer. He said it was the hardest thing he ever did. The organizers say it’s 100 miles, it’s more, they say it’s 12,000 feet of climb, it’s 15,000. I rode the wimp version, the 50 mile last half, which is the hardest part. It keeps getting harder and harder as you progress and it starts out ridiculous. It was 64 miles, 7000 feet of climb. It took this old guy 17 hours. If I’d have done the 100 mile version they would’ve had to use a calendar to time me.
With the two idiots above, legendary.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. Hardest single day bike race in the states. It took me 17 hours to go 103 KM. That included 2300 meters of climb over mostly unridable rocks, roots and drops. Very twisty tight trail so there was no place to get up a head of stream on the downhills to attack the uphills. It went up a 200 meter ski hill at the start, in the twilight it went up a luge run and in the dark a 100 meter skii jump (normal hill in the Olympics). I lost a toenail as I pushed the bike almost 40 K, as does almost everyone. Sixty % did not finish. I strided a lot on some of the sections in the dark. The worst drops were at the end, after midnight for me. There was a torrential thunderstorm at night and I had to slide the bike down into puddles at the bottom. A lot of hilarious swearing as people crashed into deep puddles at the bottom of glacial polished clay covered drops. I didn’t try to ride the drops, some I couldn’t and the others I was just too tired. Thick woods prevented alternate routs in the dark and rain. My knees looked like my elbow.View attachment 817283View attachment 817282
View attachment 817284

View attachment 817285

This is one of those stories that remind us how much of pussys the rest of us are

From the article linked above:

'Just one year prior, mountain biking legend Tinker Juarez took the podium’s top spot, saying later, “I cherish this buckle above all my other buckles that I won in my racing career.” That’s a racing career that includes everything from two summer Olympic games to dozens of 1st place finishes in 24-hour races around the globe.'

Last edited:
This is one of those stories that remind us how much of pussys the rest of us are
Not really. There was a lot of negative vibes that you could feel, even at the start. I was confident I would finish unless my bike or myself broke. I even collected people to ride with me who were going to quit when it got dark. People started to crash in the twilight and decided to quit. I reminded them that they were way back in the bush and if they didn’t follow the GPS trail, where were they going to go to quit. They would have to go back down the luge hill to the parking lot or follow the GPS until they got to the ski jump. One guy went with me, and finished in the rain. He wasn’t prepared, his headlight went dead. He rode in front of me as I had lights on my bike and helmet. Confidence is what it takes and a lot of food and drinks.

Last edited:
Back