Tubeless rims/tyres inner tube issues! Help please!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Right so I am running tubeless tyres on Bonty tubeless rims with Bonty mudx tyres. Been fine all winter but got a flint slash in the rear tyre a few weeks back. It was too large (10mm) for the sealant to seal it properly. So I decided to remove the tyre and put a puncture repair patch over the slash on the inside. This was good for about half a ride then punctured again as the patch was pushing through the slash. So my last option before ditching the tyre, (only 6 months old and tread like new as it only see's gloopy mud!) was to repatch the slash with another patch. Then fit a normal inner tube. All going ok and inflated fine. But the tyre does not seat evenly on the rim despite my best efforts! So much so that the tyre wobbles the rear wheel as if it were buckled! I have tried to seat it properly using low pressure and tyre manipulation but not good.

Any ideas on whether I can actually do this and run a tubeless tyre with an inner tube on a tubeless rim? And if this is the case how can I get the tyre to seat in correctly!

Thanks in advance

Doug

Re:

You can probably still repair the tyre. It sounds like you used a standard patch to try your fix, but this won't be strong enough. I've mended a few tubeless tyres using weldtite tubeless patches which are stronger and come with a super glue like adhesive. If they aren't up to th job then you can try super gluing the cut in the tyre and then patching from the inside with a bit of old sidewall from another tyre. It's worked for me.

I can't comment on your problems using a tube except to say that I have read that some tubeless specific rims are not very happy with tubes.

Yes, you can run a tubeless tyre/rim with a tube. Only difficulty comes with fitting and removing the tyre, the extra bulk of the tube can, in some cases, make getting the tyre on a pain in the arris.

If its not seating, there is probably something sticking or jamming. Either use higher pressure/bounce the wheel to pop it into place/some lube on the bead.

TBH, i'd do as suggested above, get a proper tubeless patch, fix the tyre properly. As even when running it with a tube, the repair will eventually fail. A puncture repair patch simply isn't strong enough.

Re:

I don't know what the Bontrager tubeless rims are like, but if they're anything like the shape/shallow depth of ZTR rims, then in my experience they won't let the tyres seat properly with tubes, and I too have had problems with misshapen/wobbly tyres. My conclusion is that you have to run tubeless with ZTR rims, so maybe Bontrager are similar.

As for repairs, for tubes I use Weldtite large strips which you cut yourself, so for tubeless I carry with me a decent size piece of that to glue on and some gaffer tape (or I think that's what it is, reinforced stuff anyway) to put over the repair to add stregth.

Back