Tubeless Tyres

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Are they worth it?

This morning I spent what feels like an eternity trying to get some tubeless tyres inflated, finally got there. A nice loud pop as the tyre sealed against the rim, sealant added and tyre at a decent pressure. Only the damn thing has deflated a couple of hours later. :mad:

The tyres are tubeless ready, the rims are tubeless ready, I'm using muc-off sealant, rim tape and valves. Everything is spotlessly clean. What am I doing wrong?

At this point I'm about ready to switch back to inner tubes...

Last edited:
I got to that same point with my current build. Gave up and put tubes back in

As far as I can tell, they are kind of worth it. But you have to go through the same process every once in a while to replace the sealant when it goes off.

I do want to give it a go, but the faff of trying and failing has put me off doing it.

When I get a puncture and or run out of tubes, I'll have another go.

I got to that same point with my current build. Gave up and put tubes back in

As far as I can tell, they are kind of worth it. But you have to go through the same process every once in a while to replace the sealant when it goes off.

I do want to give it a go, but the faff of trying and failing has put me off doing it.

When I get a puncture and or run out of tubes, I'll have another go.

Glad it's not just me then :)

Once you’ve got the bead seated and the sealant in there shake the wheels and gat the sealant thoroughly coating the inside of the tyre

use a solution of soapy water to find any leaks and shake the solution to the leaky bits

laying the wheels flat also can help get the sealant to seal porous side walls

I’ve done plenty of tubeless in my time in a workshop

if it ain’t sealing find the leak and shake!

also if it leaks from the spoke holes or at the valve stem you haven’t got a good seal with the tape and you’ll have to retape the wheel

I’ve done a fair few now and when done correctly they are great. All my modern stuff runs Tubeless and I’ve done a few sets for friends. However when they are not done correctly they are a nightmare. Shouldn’t take any longer than 10-15 mins each wheel from scratch and renew sealant every 6-12 months.

OK I'll get some more sealant and give it another go. Do you guys use a track pump or do you use a compressor?

Perseverance is key, I just got these things set up tubeless and it was an effort for sure, but worth it! 😎

My logic is to try with a track pump or hand pump, garage compressor as a last resort as won’t find one out in the hills! 😋

Loads of soapy water helps, as does to seat the tyre with a tube then pop only one side of the tyre off to remove the tube... half the work is done then 😉

23CC10FD-5E77-4CF6-BE50-108369BFB8B1.jpeg

Maybe look into slime smart tubes - Inner tube filled with the sealant basically.
They last longer, there is no zero mess or hassle and does exactly the same thing minus needing tubeless wheels & tyres which are expensive.

Not sure if people don't know they exist or aren't keen for some reason but they've been golden for me.

I put the tyre on dry firstly. Seating the bead a few times with blast of air.

Once it’s seated , add the sealant, and inflate. Shake and spin the wheel to seal it. Keep spinning and shaking until it stops leaking.

No need for soap or water. Should take 10 mins max.

Once it’s seated it can be inflated with a hand pump. Make sure you carry some bacon strips to seal any big punctures and then just blow it back up.

Back