Which tyres should I buy?

bazza926

Dirt Disciple
Hi all.

I am going to start cycling to work next week. I have built myself a single speed mountain bike using old bits I had in the garage. But now I don't know which tyres to put on.

I intend to use a part-worn XC tyre on the front for grip on those wet or snowy days but on the back I'm not sure what to use.

I did intend on buying a maxxis wormdrive semi slick but they are now discontinued and can only find one on ebay for about £45.

My ride to work will be about 3 miles all on road with maybe a bit of curb hopping to avoid the traffic lights.

Obviously maxxis are my first choice but there are so many to choose from not to mention all the other brands that seem to have a selection too.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks

if it is all on road, then Schwalbe Marathon plus - heavier but you will get much fewer punctures.

they are semi-slick tread so not much use off tarmac should you decide to go for a play at lunchtime.

if you budget does not stretch that far - +s ain't cheap, then get a pair of lesser Schwalbes like mine that have central nobblies so are no too sluggish on tarmac.

now you are gonna ask what model mine are ..........

26" or 700c

I have these for sale All £20 a pair posted

The Schwalbe Marathon I particularly recommend, I use them in 700c guise and on my Brompton (i'm not going to temp fate by saying "well you know")

Thanks for the replies. The marathon plus's look good and will certainly consider them next time. But I've managed to find some wormdrives on ebay for £20.

Thanks again for your help.

Tried/heard of vittoria randonneurs?!

I got a set for a commuter once from decathlon of all places...

As that guy said in that advert years ago "I never expected that!"

Great tyres, I was just surprised they were there... And a tenner each, what's not to like?! :D

Back