Mountain Cycle San Andreas Rebuild

48122890006_9c426bb9b7_b.jpg

Anodised parts back today. I'm not massively happy with the quality of them. They've done a good job of matching the colour to the Ringle red, but the finish is a bit lacking in lustre in places. I'm loathe to send them back as the anodisers sat on them for nigh on 4 weeks before, only doing the job Friday morning and posting out Friday afternoon.

You can see the difference clearly between the seat clamp collar and the original Ringle seat post.

Repainting of main spar started this weekend, having stripped back some of the powder coating and polished up the circular welds I originally wanted.
Much hi-build primer and detailed sanding back has occurred but to break the monotony of that I assembled some bits in between spray times.

48226553922_c7eb88d084_b.jpg

48226493596_fc2e346d02_b.jpg

48226493601_47c60a3f76_b.jpg

Jesus H. Tap dancing Christ!!!
I have spent weeks filling and sanding and filling and guide coat and sanding and hi build priming and sanding and priming and the primer turning to dust and sanding back and priming and sanding and finally ... finally... get two coats of silver on .... and ...

I can still see the filler by the head tube. Arghhhhhhhhhhh.

I wonder if a light sand-back and a quick bit of localised hi-build would fill it in.

Its all eventually going to be matt-lacquered as I'm trying to reproduce the bare finish I had from vapour blasting, but without the dents and rubs. I'm hoping the matt finish will be a bit forgiving.

And so, 3 months after getting it vapour blasted, and much faffing about, I now have a painted, clearcoated version of the vapour blast matt silver.

48340963977_4c58db819d_b.jpg

DIY painting has lost a bit of the welding detail, but a small price to pay and the polished arm and sub frame have plenty of fishy fishscales on them.
AN so, 2 weeks to cure properly and reassembly will commence. I can build me wheel in between using the forks and rear arm as ad-hoc jigs.

Back