Kona Kilauea 2000 20" frame

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Never seen one of these before. Like most later Kona steel frames, the quality "dropped" to just plain old double butted chromoly. In fact, re-checking the 2000 catalogue, it's not listed anywhere....help....Anthony, what's the score with this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kona-Mountain-B ... 19ea8d109e

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

The last catalogue Kilauea was in 1998, but later there were Kilaueas sold as frame-only in 2000 and 2001 (perhaps to fill in a gap in the range, as the Explosif was made of Easton 7000 series scandium in those years). Surprising in a way that this example has survived as NOS for 14 years, but then again if they've been asking for $495 for it all this while, maybe it's not so surprising. I didn't know they were sold in the US as well as Britain, but clearly they were.

I'm not clear what the specs for these frames actually were. As you say, from the look of the tubeset sticker, you might have thought it was a re-badged Caldera (the Caldera itself having been moved from steel to 7005 for 2000). On the other hand, Jones had one once and reported its weight as being a lot lighter than a 1999 Caldera, and really pretty much in line with what you would expect of a proper (heat-treated) Kilauea frame. So, a bit of an unresolved mystery as far as I'm concerned.

Re:

For reference, and can only assume the frames are the same... My 2001 Kilauea weighs in at 1971.5g, stripped and paintless

Could not get a definitive answer from kona about exact tubing specs when I tried researching it, but was 100% assured that they didnt just rebadge a caldera or cinder cone... and the weight would suggedt they are right

Re:

Oh, OK, that would imply it's about the same weight as a Caldera actually. Allowing c150g for the original factory powdercoat brings you to c4.6lbs, which is about right for a Caldera, depending on size obviously. I thought Steve's was a bit lighter.

Re: Re:

Anthony":n0r4slyi said:
The last catalogue Kilauea was in 1998, but later there were Kilaueas sold as frame-only in 2000 and 2001 (perhaps to fill in a gap in the range, as the Explosif was made of Easton 7000 series scandium in those years). Surprising in a way that this example has survived as NOS for 14 years, but then again if they've been asking for $495 for it all this while, maybe it's not so surprising. I didn't know they were sold in the US as well as Britain, but clearly they were.

I'm not clear what the specs for these frames actually were. As you say, from the look of the tubeset sticker, you might have thought it was a re-badged Caldera (the Caldera itself having been moved from steel to 7005 for 2000). On the other hand, Jones had one once and reported its weight as being a lot lighter than a 1999 Caldera, and really pretty much in line with what you would expect of a proper (heat-treated) Kilauea frame. So, a bit of an unresolved mystery as far as I'm concerned.

Ah yes, I remember the 2001 one now, I didn't realise they did the same in 2000. Did they sneak one in in 1999? There's something quite nice about the colour scheme of the silver, white and green but as you say the price is a bit of the :shock: side.

Back