Show us what you did today, thread

Yeah, sounds like a good family trip to the beach. How could the little man not enjoy a play on the sand :)
We went to ours this afternoon, thankfully it is just across the field from the house and like yours there is just a laneway for access with two farm gates, so is pretty quiet though the locals in the district all know about it of course.

Jamie

IMG_3015 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3016 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3024 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Jamiedyer":3vnx4g2p said:
This is up in Caithness. The first photo has Dunnett head in the background, the most northerly point of mainland UK and behind that to the left is the Island of Hoy.
The second last photo is from Dunnett Head looking across to Hoy. Not in view but just behind but parallel to Hoy is Orkney.
In the first photo, I live just down the power line and to the left. The beach is just down this track.
The last photo is looking back across the bay from Dunnett with my local beach being across the water and roughly in the middle of the view. Near to where I started.
That was probably more info than you needed :)

Jamie

Jamie

you're very lucky. amazing on days like this but i imagine not so great in winter :D

[/quote]

you're very lucky. amazing on days like this but i imagine not so great in winter :D[/quote]

Yes, exactly. The other 361 days are pretty bleak ;)

Jamie

Another gorgeous day and both Sharron and were off, so I managed to get my first solo ride in two months. By that I mean, without towing around 25kg of Logan and trailer!
Had made a few purchases for the Saffron just as winter was ending but I've never had a chance to try them out.

Out of lockdown by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Swapped out the old reverb for the new wireless AXS version to match my gears. Not a necessary purchase by any means, but losing another set of cables really cleans up the bars. Also went for a longer drop so the collar now neatly sits right on the seat clamp.

Also risked going for a set of summer tyres, in fake skin wall. They are actually just a normal tyre with the sidewalls painted, but means they work perfectly tubeless while still looking a bit retro. Felt really fast after riding the plus bike with the trailer for so long. Bakes hard trails helped with this as well no doubt.

As encouraged I stayed fairly local, but still managed 20 carefree miles. Hope you've all managed to get out in the good weather.

Re:

Well Clubby, you may have a fancy dropper post, but you don't have a Goldie Looking Chain do you eh? ;)

By which I mean my bling Gold chain arrived today. Always wanted a bling chain, but without the bling price tag, so here it is....

It says its an 8-seed chain, also compatible with 11-speed drive trains :shock: Amazing!

It's also compatible with Shimano, Campagnolo, and Sarm, well 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

The instructions could be clearer though.... My step daughter is learning Mandarin, I might have to ask her for help :LOL:

I'll be sure to let you all know how many miles I do before it breaks :facepalm:

Attachments

• _20200601_150240.JPG
    _20200601_150240.JPG
    936 KB · Views: 770
  • _20200601_150148.JPG
    _20200601_150148.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 770
  • _20200601_150305.JPG
    _20200601_150305.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 770
It all started so well.

I went on a road ride, yes, a road ride on my old Voodoo ex-mtb now gravel bike. The one famous for its 20" inner tubes.

Nice quiet roads like this.

I was quite proud of myself - Jamie could take one of his blingcycles on this ride thought I - as I pedalled the heights of the Black Isle.

But the Black Isle is too pastoral for my liking. Its USP is its fine views of the mountains to the north IMO. So north it was, zipping downhill and keeping to as many single lane roads as possible. Some of them had more gravel on them than a gravel road. :)

Popped into the Urray graveyard to pay my respects to the in-laws.

Now that's close to Clashie wood, isn't it? Surely a wee poke through that wouldn't count because it's pretty mild. So a wee daunder along a path was taken.

Then back on to tarmac. The gorse is lovely at this time of year, makes you forgive/forget what a right **** it is.

Whipped through Marybank and across the Moy Bridge and headed back to Dingwall on the main road.

Main roads don't half suck the joy out of life rhough, so surely I could allow myself just a wee bit of dirt and take a shortcut over the hill.

This hill...

Unfortunately the gorse had closed in, so I turned back after a few hundred yards.

I should have taken a rope, because this lad seems to have found an even better shortcut. I couldn't see where he had stashed his bike though - maybe he had already got it to the top and was nipping back down to get his water bottle or something.

(Bring a rope for our next road ride Jamie)

So I took the easy route in the other direction with the intention of coming out on to the tarmac near Loch Ussie.

Unfortunately I was starting to get an attack of the "I wonder ifs", and almost within reach of the tarmac I diverted to check what had happened to the logged area of the forest since my last visit.

It used to look like this - hard mucky work on a Pompino, slip, slither and slide.

But now it's been sanitised

I was quite pleased. So far the road ride had been just that, apart from the wee path pootle and the diversion into the gorse. I could envisage taking a group of frail elderly chaps on their precious immaculate Jack Taylors and the like on this ride.

Even though it did narrow down a bit, it was mild stuff and in a few hundred yards all there is to do is hop a stile, coast downhill on a grassy field and then back on to tarmac.

Easy, eh?

Alas, by this time the "I wonder ifs" were strong, and seeing as the track was no longer a bog, I wondered if I'd be able to find a chambered cairn I'd been meaning to visit for a while.

Naturally, that meant getting up a steep hill, but it was worth it.

I often wonder just how strong those guys were. No wheeled vehicles, so just what effort did it take to gather those huge rocks and then lift them up? I am pretty sure they had a far higher level of technological sophistication than our history books tell us.

And that's when the road ride stopped. Once you've been lured up one steep hill, it seems rude not to finish the job.

But...

Sir Walter Scott had it right, it was truly a dark impenetrable wood, The path petered out (don't believe everything OS tells you) and I was into a thicket of gorse, brambles and windfallen trees.

After hike-a-bike for barely a km in an hour and falling into several large bog holes I gave up and just straightlined for the top. In the process I even managed to get a puncture. Did I actually say up there something about it being pretty? I've changed my mind, it is still a ****...

'Twas not frabjous joy.

There was some joy at finding the track at the top though. A pause to fix the puncture, and by this stage the rocky singletrack felt like a dual carriage way to me.

I now truly appreciate the expression "You're out of the woods now".

Stopped to take a pic of the Chernobyl monument and take in the view. (BTW the next peak along is the remnants of an Iron Age vitrified fort

Everything was rosy now, the only snag was i had to descend that hill and climb halfway up the one in the background to get home. A mere bagatelle after fighting the gorse.

One thing I learned, I'm not going for a road ride with me again... :)

That's looks like a very fine road ride to me and seeing as I recognise most of those roads, they tie in with previous road rides. :) If I remember right the gorse cuts off quite a few of our routes during these months.
I wouldn't be dissing the Jack Taylors or nice road bikes either, as the Jack Taylor, Mercian and Long Haul Trucker are frequently coerced onto the tracks and they rarely complain, and even when they do they still ride them ;)
Glad you got out for a good one as the weather up here was just rubbish today, foggy to start then misty drizzly rain for the most part.
Front derailleur arrived for the Scot Ventoux but I do need to get my King of Mercia road built back up. Tomorrows job :)
Keep that route handy and hopefully we will be back out riding together soon.

Jamie

Latest posts

Back