Mikes' Cougar : Finished, and first ride

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Thought I'd share with you, something I couldn't resist.

It arrived last week, with only three or four paint chips :cool:

Trying to find out the year of it, but coming up blank at present :? Frame number is 4583900. Can anyone help with that?
Made of Dedacciai ( just how do you pronounce that? ) tubing, with almost triangulated top and downtubes.
I'm guessing at late '90s. It will have a 9-speed (sorry :oops: ) Dura-Ace groupset on , that I'm slowly gathering parts for.
However, as the 7700 hubs are A; pig ugly, and B; expensive, I shall be using some Ultegra hubbed wheels to start with.I want proper non-factory wheels, I think they'll look nicer.

Mike

Re: Cougar on the loose!

Lovely paint on that frame, always liked Cougar,s looks like you are going for the same DA groupset as my Koga Miyata, is the headset 1/18 or 1"?

Andy

Re:

Hi Andy ;)

Thanks, it reminds me of Rabobank colours from the late '90s

It is a 1" headtube. The frame is just about big enough for me, comparing to others in my collection.
I wanted to push the boat out a bit on this build, hence the Dura-Ace.

Got a photo of yours?

Nice frame.

Mike Muz 67":1vf5idrz said:
However, as the 7700 hubs are A; pig ugly, and B; expensive, I shall be using some Ultegra hubbed wheels to start with.
Pig ugly? I wouldn't've said 7700 hubs were less pretty than the (admittedly very nice, but fundamentally very similar) Ultegra 6500 series. They're also lighter, and the QR skewers are much nicer. Are you thinking of the ugly 7800/7900 hubs?

They are expensive.

one-eyed_jim":ma0grnxa said:
Nice frame.

Mike Muz 67":ma0grnxa said:
However, as the 7700 hubs are A; pig ugly, and B; expensive, I shall be using some Ultegra hubbed wheels to start with.
Pig ugly? I wouldn't've said 7700 hubs were less pretty than the (admittedly very nice, but fundamentally very similar) Ultegra 6500 series. They're also lighter, and the QR skewers are much nicer. Are you thinking of the ugly 7800/7900 hubs?

They are expensive.

The hub body looks a lot bigger from the ones I've seen

Mike Muz 67":2b76hkp0 said:
The hub body looks a lot bigger from the ones I've seen
Hmmm ... interesting. I can't say I'd noticed.

I'll be back when I've found my Vernier caliper!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2ho7wwi1 said:
I think you may be right Jim :oops:

This is the style I've seen

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/shimano-DURA- ... UYPRmUcwpg

But also just noticed others for sale on eBay, that seem the more normal size. They're still bloody expensive though ! DEFINITELY! :LOL: :LOL:

mike

I was going to chip in that the 7700 hub is a classic looking DA hub, but I think you picked up on that! I have some 7800s in the spares box and they're not nearly as nice.

Nice frame that Cougar, are you going for 7700 for the rest of the spec :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

one-eyed_jim":1ni4yqr9 said:
It's funny - I was starting to see differences that aren't there!

Hub body centre diameters are as follows:

hb7700 14.9mm

fh7700 16.1mm

hb6500 14.8mm

fh6500 16.1mm

one-eyed_jim":23dhh61z said:
one-eyed_jim":23dhh61z said:
It's funny - I was starting to see differences that aren't there!

Hub body centre diameters are as follows:

hb7700 14.9mm

fh7700 16.1mm

hb6500 14.8mm

fh6500 16.1mm

Thanks for checking Jim, ;) Sorry to waste your time! :oops:
LDP":23dhh61z said:
Mike Muz 67":23dhh61z said:
I think you may be right Jim :oops:

This is the style I've seen

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/shimano-DURA- ... UYPRmUcwpg

But also just noticed others for sale on eBay, that seem the more normal size. They're still bloody expensive though ! DEFINITELY! :LOL: :LOL:

mike

I was going to chip in that the 7700 hub is a classic looking DA hub, but I think you picked up on that! I have some 7800s in the spares box and they're not nearly as nice.

Nice frame that Cougar, are you going for 7700 for the rest of the spec :cool:

Thanks, yes 7700 where I can. I have the sti levers, calipers and mechs. Can't remember what chainset is, robbing it from my Jackson, but D/A 180s. Possibly 7410. To be replaced with the Ultegras in my sales thread! :facepalm: :LOL:

Still trying to work out the year it was made :? Maybe a P. Donohue built one?

Mike

Back