Saxon Twin Tube

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Got this interesting little number from Biggs.

It's a Saxon Twin Tube (referring to the seat tube). I believe it to date from circa 1938/ 39.

We received it with 26" wheels which included a 4 speed Sturmey Archer hub with 2 sprockets i.e 8 gears. However the twin tube is supposed to be to allow the rear wheel to sit further forward so it should really have 27" wheels (I think) which we fitted to see how it would work, result is exactly how it should look in my opinion. Although the brake drop is very shallow now and I do wonder if it was originally built for tubs (700c).

Anyway I'm not entirely sure how far I'm going to go with the restoration, it may get a full respray, it may not (probably not!). The build will be a fixed wheel so that it doesn't have to have many components distracting from the unusual frame.

I absolute love this, can't wait to ride it with the short wheel base and the massive rake on the forks I think it'll be great!!! This one is a keeper for sure :)

A lot of you will probably recognise this garden...

Another interesting number from SA

In our shop

And from another angle

Looks pretty good and could be fine as it was but it's not quite right!

Take of the armour to see what we have...

Wee 26" wheels just not highlighting the frames main feature

Yes! That's what I'm talking about :)

You wouldn't get that wheel in there with a regular single round tube...

Front end looking better too. See what I mean about a short brake reach! Should take a standard 39 - 49mm perhaps something like a GB....

That's one cool looking bike you have there, never seen anything like that seat tube arrangement.

Cracking machine from an era which threw up all sorts of thinking in terms of frame building sand design. Love it.

Talking with an aficionado of bikes from this era he told me that 27" wheels were not very common back in the late 30's or early 40's they were more common place in the 50's onwards. However I will be sticking with the 27's in a fixed wheel guise.

Thats one interesting and unusual bike, and yes I recognise that garden well as 2 of my bikes came to me from that very productive garden

Re:

What a rare machine, and in great nick, take your time, it may tidy up nicely. I can't see if the decals are still showing, but you could always add them if the paint cleans up alright. Thoughts from a very envious Terry.

Re: Saxon

1938 or 1939 is correct Saxon closed in November 1939 and the twin tube patent was registered in February 1938. All the Saxon Twin Tubes were supplied with 26" wheels. I would recommend that if the bike has it's original paintwork, you retain it. I would be interested in the frame number from the rear forks. Most likely to commence in an 8 or 9. Nice machine. Good luck

Back