1989(?) Raleigh

CezarB

Old School Hero
Could somebody help me identify the model/year/originality of this bike?

I've spotted it looking sad, locked up in front of somebody's house and decided to knock on the door. After a quick chat the owner was happy for me to take it, she got it 5 years ago and had plans to restore it but turned out too much for her and she left it untouched.

Rear hub is Maillard and had '89' stamped on it. Front hub has 'made in Germany' stamped which confuses me.
The bike has now been stripped, needs new BB, cables, pads, bartape and wheels (the rims are super rusty inside and out)

Any information about this bike would be great :)
Thanks

1980s, probably around 1985 because that's when I had mine in those colours, as a kid!

The handlebar tape was a sort of pearlescent white and it had a white saddle. Can't remember if it had steel or alloy wheels but I suspect they were steel. It did have those reflectors in the spokes, so I suspect they are original. Tyres were tan wall.

Thanks for your reply! I knew the saddle and bar tape is not original, understandable as they both wear out quick. Anything else seems right, though I found it odd with the wheels with one hub being un-branded and one Maillard. So the stamping on the Maillard hub does not mean it's date of production?

The rims are steel and are really rusty, need new cones and bearings. Is it worth restoring them or should I look for a replacement?

I have Maillard hubs that I was hoping to build with new-ish rims, could be an idea for this one.

Looks like a Raleigh winner,like the one I sold a couple of weeks ago

Regards
Marc
1990s aende
Falcon banana
2011 cube aerial

Re:

I like to hear stories of bikes being rescued, especially when as you say, they look sad but you can see their potential. I cAnt tell how bad the rust is, but I have had great luck cleaning terribly rusty chrome with aluminum foil and water... Good rescue.

Re:

Nice rescue.
I wish I was lucky enough to find something like this...

The paint looks to be in good condition. Should be a nice, easy restoration. ;)

Back