Sigma / Chas Roberts - 1995

MatBH5

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hello to the Road Forum...

I've just got my first road bike (at least since I was a teenager) and hope you don't mind me sharing. As a complete road novice, I expect I might need a bit of advice when it comes to replacement parts (immediately, perhaps the tyres).

Since getting a Roberts MTB and really liking the quality ride, I have been searching for any other Roberts. In addition, I had a crash a couple of months ago, cracked my sternum and collarbone and so now need to step up my fitness without a lot of long bumpy off-road.

So, I saw this and pushed the button without hesitation:

It's a Sigma branded bike from 1995, custom built (I'm told) for the first owner to use in races and triathalon by Chas Roberts. I've seen other references on the web to Roberts building bikes for Sigma; it has his signature on the chainstay and a frame no. consistent with Chas'.

531 Competition f&f, full Shimano 105 (8 speed version) inc. hubs, Promax E headset, Mavic MA2 rims (36h), Rolls saddle, ITM bar and stem, look pedals. Needs a good clean, it still has sticky residue from race numbers in places, and had not been ridden for 6 years.

I really don't want to risk the old tyres for too long, there are some cracks on the sidewalls. They use inner tubes. What type of tyre do I need and any recommendations?

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 735
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 734
Re:

nice bike mate, any chance a pic of the seat stay/pinch bolt detail....
tyres oo dont know for sure really, i suppose we want something thats not going to wear out really quickly and something thats going to be comfortable for our weight which for me is 96kg[thumping lardy] we dont want advice from a shop who are pushing certain brands ie [only stocking 'specialized']but im sure specialized do good tyres.
i am on ebay at the mo searching these as bargains patiently; continental gp 4000/schwalbe ultremo/vittoria rubino pro ? if any readers have any comments of these..please post.one day
i would also like to try out clincher's which feel as close as possible to tubulars

Re:

With apologies for the poor photo, here's a close up of the seat tube pinch bolt. Pretty neat but the closer you look, the less it appears is holding the rear of the bike together!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 639
it is indeed neat,little special touches like that are sure to add to pride of ownership,makes me want to look at other chas roberts's other frames.

Re:

Nice bike to start black top riding on ;)
Victoria Rubino pros are good tyres , always go for those myself , and they come on red/black too . Reasonably priced , rarely puncture with them and good grip also .

Mike

Re:

Fantastic bike.

If you've got the clearance, I'd consider 23 or 25c tyres, as 100psi in 20c tyres is great for speed, but can be pretty harsh and bumpy on normal (rough) roads.

Nice bike! GP4000s are liked a lot on the other forum I use, as are Continental 4 seasons. The guy at work swears by Vittoria Rubino Pro. I use Vittoria Zaffiro slicks which are the steel bead version of the Rubino Pro and at ~£6.50 each they are an absolute bargain. They roll really really smoothly and grip is pretty good.

I used race tyres like Michelin Pro for a bit, but I commute and I find them a bit too thin and vulnerable to be reliable as day-to-day tyres, particularly in the winter. Fine for racing, but expect punctures.

Back