Make-Up Refreshed

colnagolover

Retro Guru
It's been a long time coming but at long last my one and only Colnago - a 1988 Super Sprint - has finally after 26 years been resprayed and the front fork rechromed.

A few pics attached - as it is the only road bike I have, I am more than a little proud of the result. The group set is as mounted in 1988 and is Campag Chorus with the excception of the small chain ring and the 6-speed cogs, which I have had to replace and couldn't source Chorus bits. The wheels too are the original Wolber TX Profil rims which I had built up around the Chorus hubs.

Got it back from the LBS today and can't wait to get out and show her off since all rides so far this year have been on a single speed hack with flat bars.

Further pics can be found on the link below.

http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/colna ... t=3&page=1

So colnagolover is now a happy chappie... :D

Attachments

• drop-out detail.jpg
    drop-out detail.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 622
  • pedal detail.jpg
    pedal detail.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 622
  • fork crown rechrome.jpg
    fork crown rechrome.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 622
  • downtube respray.jpg
    downtube respray.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 622
  • front end detail.jpg
    front end detail.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 622
  • cluster detail.jpg
    cluster detail.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 622
  • colnago respray2.jpg
    colnago respray2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 622
  • colnago respray.jpg
    colnago respray.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 622
The Chorus equipment on the bike is Chorus 1st. generation and - I think - one of Campag's earliest efforts at manufacturing a synchro (indexed) shiftsystem that had an acceptable (for 198:cool: functional level. However, I believe there were traditionalists at Campag who were not too sure about the future of synchro shifting, so Chorus One could also be operated as an old fashion friction shifter. I have never bothered to try it out but I believe that the small lever can be pulled back independently of the main lever (to like a ten o' clock position) and that puts the shift mechanism in to friction mode.

Not being in any way mechanically gifted, I could be completely wrong but hopefully there are some Campag experts out there who can put me right - and give you some reliable information ;)

colnagolover

latman":3nw6fzsu said:
so you bought it new just like that ? lovely indeed

No Ian,

The bike I bought in 1988 looked vaguely like the attached pics (taken last year) - when it was new it had the Ciolnago decals on the down tube but over 26 years, they just flaked off (because there was no clear coat over them).

I had this respray done at the end of March by a respray shop in Copenhagen and the front fork was rechromed by a chrome workshop, also in Copenhagen.

In January, it was -in my mind - a toss-up between buying a used Colnago (Mexico or similar) or having my old, trusted and beloved Super Sprint done up. It ended with the latter because I couldn't face getting rid of her to be replaced by a bike to which I really would have no relationship.

Summa summarum - I agree with you - lovely indeed :)

Steve

Attachments

• 1&only.jpg
    1&only.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 502
  • Super Sprint 2013.jpg
    Super Sprint 2013.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 502
Back