California Dreamin: Bontrager Privateer 1998

caemis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View

A while ago I decided that my wife needs a second ride. Honestly of course I needed some excuse to build "just another bicycle". I had the same Bontrager in my size living in our apartment for some days before it went to somewhere else like dozens of frames before BUT at least my wife recognized the colour :xmas-cool: . Well long story short I was looking for a Bontrager in that paintjob adding the 1 1/8 headtube is a major benefit. It doesnt take that long and the frameset with orgininal Rock Shox forks, XT Vbrakes and some other stuff arrived but I just kept frame, fork, headset and the brakes.

Of course the bike was going to be a singlespeed as for some unknown reasons my wife likes to ride them as well...

I added some parts from the drawer, but see for yourself:

Loving this already. Sometimes I struggle to get as excited as I feel I should about Bontragers, but this looks like it'll be awesome.

:cool: great colours, look forward to seeing it built

Mark

Thanks guys. Bontragers are indeed pretty nice, well made, with a thoughtful design and with a really good handling. Only downside, being made with sunny california in mind the never had any rust treatement before painting...

However as the build was coming along and the almost finished Bonti took its place in the living room my wife was happy. And since it somwhow fits better then her other (handmade fillet brazed Nöll) bike we decided that this will become her "to go" bike for our planned summer bikepacking family adventure.

And because on sunday we already will have a testrun I got away just now to take a few pics before it gets modified with rack, FollowMe tandem and classic Swift saddlebag for the summer months :)

I like it ...

Looks lovely :D

I've always had a soft spot for Bontragers. Never owned one nor ridden one, but theres something I really like about them I cannot explain.

I have the eye for detail, am qualified furniture designer and an aspie too. Pretty much says they've got this spot on.

:shock: that was quick, had some food came back and its built :LOL:

Looks great, like the matching forks

Mark

I did not finish building every bike these days, but the Bontrager did well. Here it is during our three week bikepacking tour in.July. We left the stuff at the campsite and went for a little spin with the kids into the woods :)

Latest posts

Back