Trying to get my new bike set-up. Advice please :-)

daswolfgang

Dirt Disciple
Guys,
I've brought a 2007 Kona Cinder Cone to compliment my original 1992 Cinder Cone that I have had from new. Despite a few issues with headset bearings and Star Fangled washers failing, I'm really happy with it.

However, the geometry isn't quite right for what in used to. This is my old and trusty 1992 bike that I have been using recently to work and back.

The ride it's aggressive in terms of the riding position, but it's what I'm used to. My second hand (new to me) 2007 model is the same size frame (18") . But with the front suspension, and the down hill bars on the highest Aheadset position, it seems very different from my old trusty steed.

So, I'm messing around with all that can be adjusted and just want some feedback to reassure me that I'm on the right path. I feel that the bars need doing a considerable amount to make me feel like it's not so sit up and beg. I've shifted all of the spacer elements to the point where I'm pretty much losing 3 of them to lower. I think you can cut the rock shocks tube down so there isn't as much on the top? I've also flipped the stem so it's dropped down instead of upwards. This makes the stem almost perfectly horizontal, instead of raising the bars. You can see the new bike in its current arrangement here:

These are what I've modified and lost from the previous set-up.

From the above is my new star fangled washer yet to be fitted. Bottom are two spacers along with the spacer I've used to set the gap for the sawing down of the suspension fork tube (and the sawn off aluminum section next to it).

I guess my question is, Is this all acceptable practice. Inverting the stem, and modifying the forks etc?

Re:

Sounds to me as though you're trying to make your new bike into a replica of your old bike, rather than giving the new ergonomics and geometry a chance to prove its functionality and mettle.

Why did you even bother buying a newer bike, then?

Re: Re:

k-rod":2yo9c1sg said:
Sounds to me as though you're trying to make your new bike into a replica of your old bike, rather than giving the new ergonomics and geometry a chance to prove its functionality and mettle.

Why did you even bother buying a newer bike, then?
I guess because I wanted to feel inspired again. Oh, and it's got disk brakes and front suspension and is a really great bike for the £200 it cost me. My old bike is there, it's always been there and it's brilliant. Nothing to stop me getting the modern equivalent and feeling invigorated by riding something new....is there?

Re:

imho....the fork looks too long for the frame and would imagine the handling rather 'odd'.

If it were me I'd try a fork with a shorter a to c (axle to crown) length or if this fork can be adjusted reduce its length that way.

Cheers :)

Re:

As mentioned above, are those forks the correct travel for the frame?
Other than that, the newer Kona is designed to be more "sit up and beg", it's angles/geometry is different to your old Kona, I doubt any amount of stem flipping or steerer cutting is going to make it seem the same, they are two very different beasts from the ground up.
Why not give the newer Kona and its different riding position a chance? After all its had 15years of evolution, development, and R&D over the older bike to make it what it is.

Things have changed ... but there is nothing wrong with making some small adjustments to your riding position.

Last year I bought a 2012 Orange G2 to bring my self up to date from a 1996 C16R. Like yourself I preferred the more retro lower/forward position. I found the new bike was very light at the front when climbing and did not inspire confidence. I removed the spacers under the stem which helped a little. Then bought a longer stem which sorted it completely. Really happy with it now and the modern brakes and forks are great!

jb72":3b548d5s said:
Things have changed ... but there is nothing wrong with making some small adjustments to your riding position.

Last year I bought a 2012 Orange G2 to bring my self up to date from a 1996 C16R. Like yourself I preferred the more retro lower/forward position. I found the new bike was very light at the front when climbing and did not inspire confidence. I removed the spacers under the stem which helped a little. Then bought a longer stem which sorted it completely. Really happy with it now and the modern brakes and forks are great!
That's reassuring. Nice to know that others can associate with my reasoning for wanting to alter things.

Thanks for your feedback :)

First off, the chain on your 92 is too short (even baring in mind it's on the big rings).

As others have hinted, you need to change your mind-set first. This is going to be very different in the same way if you were used to 07 and wanted to adjust the 92 to meet those needs. In other words, you can't because they are both very different beasts; it's how the sport has evolved.

A quick look online shows what the 07 was specc'ed with: 100 mm travel forks.

http://www.klassickona.com/oldgold/2k7/ ... index.html

Are yours the same? They look very long and it's throwing the geometry off, as would fitting anything more than 40-60mm travel on the 92 ;-)

Latest posts

Back