1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project (Caldera P11 Onwards)

Re: The 1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project

Ah didn't realise they were disk hubs. Never mind, I was thinking the red, gold, green, rasta theme might look good. Cool bike regardless. Looking forward to seeing whats next :cool:

Re:

Have you thought about a snowflake lacing pattern for the wheels? That was a period correct trend for this bike and a fun way to build wheels. I did it on my Kona hahanna that I was lacing a wheel for. I started a 3x pattern, but miscalculated the spoke lengths (they were wayyy too long) so I just twisted them round at the final cross until they were pointing at the hole they were originally destined for to finish it off. I imagine they compromised the strength for serious MTB, but I've never broken a spoke using it for commuting on pretty bad roads, even with a pannier on the back.

Hi there

Its clever and a good change but i have my heart set on normal on the rear with radial front.

Well Happy Anniversary Kona, Crikey had it year already. Nearly 1K miles later still loving the ride, its come a long way and lost allot of weight. Next upgrade new wheels.
Hope everyones well?

Pictures of Anniversary ride

M7DWUCeh.jpg

8deBnUEh.jpg

Kk9iDyAh.jpg

Cheers buddy thats the great thing about these fancy kona colours.

Really enjoyed reading all that. Thank you for sharing. Lovely bicycle- always loved Konas but never had one (I keep looking!) Keep up the fettling- it'll take off soon if you keep losing the weight:)

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to read it all and i appreciate the positive feedback. Ive got to say its been a blast so far ive never been happyier with a bike.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and new year.
I accidently bought another Kona before Christmas, whoops it happens. This 1998 Caldera with very bad paintwork came up for sale.

Ideal as theres a car colour I was desperate to paint a kona in and i couldnt do it to the lava dome's lovely palmer green.
It's build it up with most of the lava domes parts now to ride over winter to see if it gels with me first before I go mad respraying it when its warmer. For now Ive sorted the paintwork out so its protected over winter its come out pretty well for a couple of hours work.
Its been out for a quick test run tonight, My god I cant believe how different it feels to ride. The extra stiffness on the rear end makes the drive feel very zippy liking it allot so far.

I took a few pics of the differences between the two.

Vt35rulh.jpg

C3sFY5Eh.jpg

HNRYuWph.jpg

Wt6hfgYh.jpg

gfSYRdSh.jpg

pElik9Fh.jpg

m6xHWJwh.jpg

xmdFhfNh.jpg

asJPCbnh.jpg

olvaza7h.jpg

Back