1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project (Caldera P11 Onwards)

Re: The 1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project

Paul R":1snu8uwl said:
Update on the bike. I decided i wanted something a little longer up front so I opted for these J&L titanium forks I've been eyeing up on ebay for a while. The fact they are a major copy of project 2's and titanium was the main temptation not had anything titanium apart from bolts and axles so why not. Made a nice 105g weight saving too.

As i suspected they look great on the bike. Allot of research went in before buying but not allot of info was found on this fork inperticular. The other components they do seem fairly well rated and I only ride road so they wont get much stick. Hopefully i will get a proper ride in on them in the next few days.

i7TNH8yh.jpg

nbU82DFh.jpg

Fitted mmm lovely

nUZwWYlh.jpg

kM6VScdh.jpg

Hi -- I've ordered a pair of these for a project I'm about to start on (thank you credit card). Have you been happy with them? I'm really hoping they're good quality!

Re:

They look lovely :D
I'll be interested to find out how they pan out too- they'd look nice on a current build!

edit: :shock: Just looked at the price- whole bike's cost less so far, so maybe not :LOL: :roll:

Re:

Yes they've been great. The only thing I had to do on mine was get them going slow in a lathe and flatten out the crown race a little as it was a bit to ramped so the bearing race wouldn't seat all the way down. Can't fault them other than that love em.

Looks lovely, I used to have a 98 cindercone that was built as a jump bike (!!). Bought back some memories looking at this.

The poor thing mind you i use'd my hahanna as a trials style bike for a while. Thanks

Re: Re:

Paul R":2mtgfjla said:
Yes they've been great. The only thing I had to do on mine was get them going slow in a lathe and flatten out the crown race a little as it was a bit to ramped so the bearing race wouldn't seat all the way down. Can't fault them other than that love em.

Hmmm hope I don't have to do that -- no lathe and no skills! But thanks for the endorsement -- looking forward to receiving mine.

Paul R":3v6yknny said:
The poor thing mind you i use'd my hahanna as a trials style bike for a while. Thanks

It did really well from memory, it was the old manitou forks that gave up quickly! I was gutted when it got nicked.

moonlite An engineering place will be able to do it. We just spum slow and used a file its not too much. it might just have been my ones, also the it might have partly been the Hope race as the inside edge is part chamfered and it has an expanding slot so it doesnt fit mega tight anyway.

sectionate gutted for you mate.

Made a bit of cash over Christmas so it was time to get the new wheels built up.
NOS red Mavic 517 rims and Shimano XTR M950 Hubs Laced with Sapim CX Ray bladed spokes with the front radial laced because I like the look.
The came out lighter than my old red sun rimmed wheels so well chuffed.
Next up will be servicing the hubs before fitting.
Weights
kpAxWoAh.jpg

0AVchvZh.jpg

K4YY640h.jpg

xEYfYyRh.jpg

Built, I really like them. Weights are without qr’s
dSmnzpzh.jpg

GWDliT4h.jpg

HU8Na9rh.jpg

fPHAXIbh.jpg

Back