2006 Orange Ms Isle “Restobuild”

Manmoths

Retro Newbie
Hi all, I’m new here so go easy! I’ve been away from bikes for the last few years but have recently bought a frame that I’ve always wanted - an Orange Ms Isle.

It’s in need of some TLC but I’m keen to get started on the build. The frame was tatty but solid, so has been booked in to be powder coated in the original grey colour.

I’ve also ordered a full XT groupset, new forks, XT discs and Hope headset, hubs and wheels. Basically to try and build the bombproof little hardtail that I couldn’t afford years ago!

I only have a few pictures so far but I’ll update as things progress.

Chris

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 2,787
stevet1":26q7gi2y said:
Nice, always was partial to the Ms-Isle. What forks are you putting on it?

I'm quite limited due to the older 1 1/8 steerer so I've got a bargain on a new set of RockShox Vektors. they're a 120/150 setup so I'll run them in 120mm. Reviews seem good. If I don't get on with them, I'll save for some Fox forks later this year.

The rest of the build is XT and Hope throughout. Just ordered a set of Hope Enduros with Pro 4 hubs today, so that'll sort the wheel situation!

I'll do a full spec list once I'm ready to assemble. The frame is currently with the coaters - going for an original Orange colour too, Norlando Grey.

Picked the frame up from the powder coaters last weekend and they've nailed the colour! It's a factory colour for the later models and as far as I know, never came on the MsIsle. Had the BB and headset installed after it was faced and threads chased out by my local shop.

I reinstalled the headtube badge and applied the new decal set.

I'm 90% of the way with parts now, just waiting for my rear wheel which is on order with Hope. Since I'm running 1x11 and with 26", they didn't carry that spec in stock.

Spec so far is:

2006 (last year) Orange MsIsle in Orange Norlando Grey
Rockshox Sektor Gold RL (120/150 dual)
Hope headset
Hope spacers
Funn 35mm stem
Renthal 35mm Fatbar
Renthal grips
XT front and rear 180mm discs, callipers and levers
XT bottom bracket
XT cranks
XT pedals
XT 1x11 cassette
XT rear mech
Hope Enduro 15mm front wheel with Pro 4 hub
Hope Enduro QR rear wheel with Pro 4 hub
Maxxis Shorty tyres in 2.4"
Raceface seat tube
A few other bits that I've probably forgotton...

Attachments

• P3.jpeg
    P3.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,559
Built up this weekend and given a thrashing yesterday. Money well spent!

Ignore the rear wheel setup. I've got a matching Hope Enduro on order and then I'll be able to fit my 11 speed setup.

Attachments

• P4.jpeg
    P4.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 2,446
stevet1":2fq0xeyo said:
That looks ace, how does it ride?

Extremely darty! Took it to my local 4x last weekend and it's perfect for it. I have to run the forks in 120mm though, the geo gets messed up in 150mm!

Doing a few trail centres this weekend but it's the borrowed rear wheel/hub/cassette that's really annoying me.

I have a rear Hope Pro 4 and 11 speed to go on, but it's special order from Hope. Should be with me by the end of May.

Back