What have I bought??!!

backcountry00

Retro Newbie
Evening all.
My story briefly...
At 34 decided I wanted an old skool BMX so I could cruise about with my 7 yr old son on his BMX.
With limited knowledge ( I owned a Raleigh Burner as kid which I jumped until the Skyways exploded) I delved in to eBay - was staggered at the value of some of the vintage BMX's & quickly realised that I was going to have to lower my expectations of what I could justify buying!. Found a 'Kuwahara Nova' advertised by a zero feedbacker (should have stopped at this point lol) for collection in London. Exactly what I wanted, chromed out, minimal & Skyways (well Aero Zytecs but close enough!).
Paid £250 for it but really liked the bike. The guy that sold it works for Puma and it was used in their shop display in Oxford Street recently, he ended up with it and stuck it on eBay.

However............

After researching (which I should have done first) it's become apparent that this probably isn't a Kuwahara, and in spite of my best efforts - I can't figure out what it is.

So i'm hoping I can draw on your expert knowledge to help me establish what frame this is. It's got a serial number on the bottom, see images.

If I can help by posting more photo's please ask.

:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2913.JPG
    IMG_2913.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,778
  • IMG_2914.JPG
    IMG_2914.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,778
  • IMG_2915.JPG
    IMG_2915.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,778
  • IMG_2916.PNG
    IMG_2916.PNG
    135.6 KB · Views: 1,778
  • IMG_2917.PNG
    IMG_2917.PNG
    130.8 KB · Views: 1,778
  • IMG_2928.JPG
    IMG_2928.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,778
Sorry to say ! you didn't buy what was advertised and prob could have reason to ask for you money back and get eBay involved !
It's a shame more and more people are trying this scam of decal long up a bmx as some thing it's not - skyway bmx's are a common one to be done !

Anyway all is not lost as it's a clean bmx and has some half way good parts on it
Aero Zytec rims are nice and I think I see a reissue dia compe caliper !

Right the frame - has the same style drop outs as a kuwahara, but it's not right
The chrome on the frame looks alright

Now it could be a Akisu or a Giant frame (have seen both start with G )
Are the forks stamped 'Akisu' ?

But sadly it was not worth what you paid !
But still is a nice looking Bmx to bomb around on - pull the bars back a bit and it will ride better for sure

Hope this helps - cheers B

Re:

Thanks buddy for your response.

I relisted the bike honestly and have sold it, took a hit but at least the guy knows exactly what he's buying!

Now I've got some knowledge I'm on the look out for another vintage ride. It needs to be correct though, can't be buying a fake one again!!

Latest posts

Back