Poor braking

Takingabreak

Dave Yates Fan
Feedback
View
Hi,

I've put a bmx together for my daughter and the braking is appalling.

The brakes are dia comp bulldog caliper brakes with the stock pads.

Is poor braking a feature of this brake or is it down to the stock pads not being very good?

The rims are sun cr18's with a machined sidewall.

I'm wondering if my best option is some kool stop continental pads or if dual pivot brakes were ever made for bmx's?

The bike also has a gyro fitted which means it needs a front brake to suit.

Any suggestions?

hi, bmx brakes are not to good to start with, gyros dont seem to help as theres so much going on i think all the play stretch ect never helps, new softer pads will prob help, dont set them up like mtb with not alot of movement in leaver let it have say 8mm or so between the pads an rim so she can get a good hold on the leaver
far as i know front brakes are all the same n them, only difrence with gyro cable runs though the forks/ stem so it dosnt tangle

mtb pads do fit. maby a cheap set of trials ones could work but havnt a clue if they would last long. ive just used what ever ive had spare lol

Some pads are too hard for kids I would go for a softer compound, it can't hurt only help with there little hands?

GITANE80":clibze3v said:
Some pads are too hard for kids I would go for a softer compound, it can't hurt only help with there little hands?

+1 Softer Pads, Having done some BMX builds recently I have found that the stock pads are just to hard. I picked up some cheap BMX specific pads which appeared to be a softer compound, infact they looked almost if not identical to the same brand MTB pads also on sale. Its worth it just to eliminate the problem steming from the pads.

:D

Re:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

It's now running salmon koolstops but the braking is still really poor.

I'm wondering if the levers are causing the problem, they are dia compe mx110 two finger levers.

http://www.diacompe.com.tw/product_View.asp?nid=848

I don't think they are for v brakes but I haven't found many details on the web.

Could the levers be too short to exert enough force at the rim? Would longer levers work better?

benjy":1rcdjzf2 said:
maby, like before there not to good on the best of days to be honist

That seemed to be the problem. I've fitted a U brake on the front using a U brake plate and the difference is amazing. Also changed the levers for slightly longer ones.

I just need to work out how best to fit a rear U brake on a frame that's not designed for it.

Back