Chrome Fork Rust Protection Tips

Big_Jon_93

Dirt Disciple
Hello All

I have some Chromed forks that have become very rusty. The plan is:

Remove the rust
Use Hammerite Kurust, wait some time
Spray with a clear lacquer

My only concern is, when I have used Kurust on some cast iron guttering. It went blue. Now I don't want blueish forks. Does this blue fade away after some time, or would I need to remove it, before I lacquer the forks?

Regards

Jon

Re:

Have you tried the tinfoil & coke approach as a possible alternative to derusting & shining?

The blue is a chemical change, turning rust into (IIRC) Iron Phosphate. It's permanent but creates a passive protective layer. If you are going to rub it off again there is no point doing it in the first place!

Tin foil and coke or tin foil and water if you don’t like getting sticky... then de-grease.

Personally I would recommend a descent modern high end car wax rather than spray lacquer for two reasons; 1 it will look better, 2 if any tiny bit of oxidation was missed, it’s return will more easily be dealt with if waxed.

The option is of course having them re-chromed as it’s not always as expensive as you might think, especially if you go in and talk to the chrome people and explain you don’t mind if the odd deep pit isn’t 100% polished out as this lengthy manual labour is often the most expensive part of the process...

My chap knows now what I mean when I ask him to “strip, clean and a quick buff, no need to remove the history, just the rust”

Thanks all for the advice

I tried the coca cola route and tin foil, works a treat removing the rust to show up the badly pitted chrome :( Which I ahve tried to clean with wire wool but hasn't worked as good as I hoped.

Back