Classic Bianchi

malt

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello all,

I’ve recently acquired this Bianchi and wondered if anyone would be able to pinpoint the model and year? I’ve searched high and low but haven’t really got anywhere.

Clearly she’s seen better days but in my opinion she’s worth saving, it’ll give me something to do when the winter arrives anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 67F6CBE2-B326-486D-83F2-2FE7CBF15956.jpeg
    67F6CBE2-B326-486D-83F2-2FE7CBF15956.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 459
Re:

Wonderful. What tubing is it made from?

Mike Muz may have some information, he's a steel Bianchi fan.

Cheers.

It's a Columbus SLX tube set and a full Shimano 600 groupset. Most likely 80's but not sure when.

Re:

From the decals its probably a 1984-88 model. There are a couple of Bianchi serial number databases kicking around, but they're far from complete (or they were last time I looked)

It may be a custom build as I don't think Bianchi used Shimano in the off the shelf SLX level bikes such as the Leggero, Mondiale etc. They were pretty much all Campag-equipped

Further down the range, there were all sorts of groupsets and mixtures of Shimano, Suntour and Ofmega

I've done some digging and I reckon theres a very good chance that its a 1988 X4 frameset that just happens to have Shimano kit attched to it.

If it is, you have bagged an absolute classic frameset, and it is absolutely worth saving!

Have a look at the rear brake bridge... there might be an "X4" stamped on it.

jackosbournesnr":2krfr6qy said:
I've done some digging and I reckon theres a very good chance that its a 1988 X4 frameset that just happens to have Shimano kit attched to it.

If it is, you have bagged an absolute classic frameset, and it is absolutely worth saving!

Have a look at the rear brake bridge... there might be an "X4" stamped on it.

That's great, thank you so much. At least a now have a direction to head...next job will be trying to get some decals :shock:

Back