VINTAGE DAWES GALAXY 531 - HOW OLD AM I...?

OldBikesBest

Retro Newbie
Hi,

This is my first post. I bought this green, hand made Dawes Galaxy touring racer (see pictures) just recently and am really enjoying helping it back to a nice condition. I suspect it's an early eighties model. The cycle rides beautifully and I've just had it fully serviced, replacing the chain, rear gear cassette, gear cables, brake cables, etc...) to hopefully give it the best chance of lasting another 30 odd years.

http://pin.it/k35LOdQ

It would be really nice to know if anyone on this forum has information which would help me identify the exact year it was made?

Thanks

Re:

Hello and welcome. I'm a bit of a Dawes fan, and it's always good to see a Galaxy. As far as dating it goes, I'm fairly sure that all of Dawes' records were destroyed in a fire sometime in the mid to late 80s. I briefly had an early 80s Dawes Renown, but no-one could date it to a particular year. That said, the Galaxy is probably their most famous model, so hopefully someone on here may have more knowledge about it. Regardless of its age, I hope you enjoy riding it.

Marge

Back