Raleigh with strange serial number

Raleigh Boy

Retro Newbie
I'm after a bit of help from all you experts out there. I've just acquired what I was told was an old Raleigh frame, it's been stripped and painted at least once in it's life so none of it's original markings remain but I'd like to first put a date to it then hopefully identify the frame. Normally I find dating Raleigh quite easy but this ones serial number seems a bit strange. The first 2 digits are faint but the last 3 seem clear. I can find no other markings on the bike. What are your thoughts and what date would you give it?

Many thanks

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 537
Re:

As you know Raleigh produced virtually the same frames from 1938 to close down.
Further close up oictures might help. The Octagonal headset was about 1948/9, and they all had 26 TPI head and bottom bracket. Rear ends will be 5/16 inch.

Hercules made some imitation Raleighs using a similar fork crown.

Any chance this was made in the African or far East factories.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I think it's unlikely (but not impossible) to be a African or far East 'Raleigh' import - this one is UK based and I'm not sure how many Raleigh's made overseas were imported back into the UK during the 40's or 50's.

To help with identification I've added some more photos. The most useful one I think is the one of the rear dropouts to help with identification as it shows what I think are remains of mudguard fixings on the stays (but also a small hole in each dropout, not tapped). The bottom bracket is drilled to take an oil port but I expect this is a post manufacturing modification as it had a modern plastic oiler fitted. You'll also see from the head tube the lugs are quite simple. At the moment my best guess is a 1948 Raleigh Clubman, what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_1636_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_1636_1024.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 384
  • thumb_IMG_1640_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_1640_1024.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 384
  • thumb_IMG_1638_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_1638_1024.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 384
  • thumb_IMG_1643_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_1643_1024.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 383
Re:

Is the bottom bracket thread 26 tpi or cycle standard 24?
It looks late 1930s to me. Have the rear ends been filed out to take a 3/8 inch axle?
If you have the forks then a picture of the ends and crown might help. Also the top screwed head race. I would expect a head clip, but the top frame race does not look right.

The holes in the rear ends were probaly drilled when the mudguard fittings broke.

Keith

Back