Huret Champion Du Monde

VeloFellow54

Old School Hero
Recently acquired : Huret Champion Du Monde rear derailleur about 1950. Anyone on here ever taken one apart ? If so - HELP ! I cannot find anything on the web explaining how to service one of these.

Re:

Hi, if it is the one I think it is, isn't it a Simplex tour de france copy, similar to the Huret tour de france, if so, either of these derailleurs maybe a good place to look. Be aware I have a Huret tour de france, that is sprung different different to the Simplex and is 'normal'. Terry

Thanks Terry
I am familiar with the Simplex mechs. Much easier to take apart. The Huret is different in that the main shaft which carries the adjustment knurled ring and spring does not extend to the cage with the pulleys. I can find no way to remove the knurled adjuster - it simply adjusts to compress the spring until it locks in one direction and locks at full extension in the other. The Simplex can be taken apart by removing the nut (sometimes very difficult) on the same shaft as the adjuster at the back of the cage. I really need to find an exploded diagram of this mech to work it out. Someone must have one. !

It seems that my mech is not Huret Champion Du Monde. This was how it is described on Velobase. Dancing Chain calls is Huret Competion - part of the 1950 groupset that Huret produced - the bell crank/plunger assembly being the same as the Louison Bobet model. I want to get this apart in order that I can one or two parts re-chromed. Hopefully someone on here will have some experience of these mechs.

Problem solved, and in case anyone else has difficulties :
Grasp the toggle chain and twist anti clockwise to remove. Insert flat screwdriver into bell housing (needs to be parallel sided - like an electricians screwdriver) and locate 2 slots in the threaded collar
at the bottom of the housing. Unscrew anti clockwise, bearing in mind that the whole assembly is under tension from the spring. The derailleur can now be reduced to its' component parts for service.

Back