Looking for advice for retro-commuter

ThomasElliott

Old School Hero
I need something a bit sturdier than my current road bike (a lovely but not fit for the job Giant Cadex 980c) to ride 12 miles to work as well as getting on a gravel road once in a while, and thought I'd look into the retro market. However, I'm an absolute novice when it comes to this type of bike, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Requirements for the bike/frame are spacing for 32 mm tyres, a decently wide wheel base, mudguard eyelets, and perhaps the possibility of mounting some racks on it. As said, any help or tip would be greatly appreciated!

I think any of the mid range 90s Raleighs would fit that bill. New enough that there aren't any obscure component sizes, built strong with generous clearances and usually have the additional mounts that you want. Something in 531 won't be too heavy either. My old 531 Raleigh was about 9.5kg built up.

Re:

This is what I'm currently hunting for for my commute as well. The mountain bike I'm riding makes me feel like I'm severely under powered! :) The Raleigh Sprint is a nice one to go for, it's got gold bits too! (Providing it's in good condition) !!

Also consider Dawes Galaxy or Horizon. The Horizon was the same 531 frame some years but with more lowly bits on it (which will be worn out by now anyway).

Halfords did a decent cheap CX bike (Carrera Crixus) the last couple of years - with a frame that took mudguards. It has the bombproof if functional Claris groupset on it and would be £100-150 secondhand.

If I was building a commuter first thing I'd do is fit 28/32 or 35mm puncture proof tyres and full guards.
Get a decent frame the right size in 531/501 or Chromoly with forged dropouts and eyelets for guards/racks.
Decent 36h QR 700c wheels - Campagnolo or Shimano hubs, DB spokes and box section rims with eyelets.
Probably indexed shifters - 7/8sp Campagnolo or Shimano depending on your prejudice.
Scott Mathauser brake pads.

Any old bike will need a check over, you can usually tell if it's been looked after. Go for a ride and if everything works ok then you're good.
If not a strip down and replace bearings, grease, cables etc, possible chain and freewheel.
If you can't work on it yourself take a knowledgeable friend to assess, and factor into purchase price the cost of servicing.
Post listings if you need advice here.

Good luck, Matthew.

Back