Viking European

Dancjwood

Devout Dirtbag
Hi

I have this less than happy Viking European frame; I have tried to research it online but have drawn a complete blank which is unusual for Google.

It is a 531 fork so presumably the frame is as well, it has campagnolo drop outs and came with a Gran sport seatpost and crank.

Can anyone shed any light on it for me?

Thanks

Dan

Attachments

• viking frame.jpg
    viking frame.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,337
Interesting frame. No braze ons and style is early 70's but can't think of a Viking frame that fits the bill. Early Severn Valley perhaps.

The odd thing is the very shallow fork rake, Cinelli MC style fork crown but with mudguard eyes which is a bit Dawes or Mercian. If it was a bare frame I'd think Italian because iof the seat stays?

Is it a UK bottom bracket?

Shaun

Re:

I think it's a German bottom bracket, I'll have a look it the morning and see if I can get a picture of the serial number as well.

Would they have rebadged other companies frames?

Re:

Likely to be a 70's bike by Trusty (Lambert/Viscount) of Potters Bar Herts. Next time I ride with Barry Chick I will ask him, he used to build the team bikes for Viscount. in 1977 the bike manufacturing went to Ireland. The Superlite as the top model was said to be built by Harry Quinn, who supposedly had a hand in designing the range of Vikings

http://classicvikingcycles.com/catalogu ... catalogue/

The Severn Valley was re introduced in 1978 and as far as I can tell looks like the Superlite no idea if it was built in the UK or Ireland though.

Re:

I remember these when I started out with CTC back in late 70s. There was the Severn Valley which as I recall was 531 throughout and the European which looked the same but only had 3 main tubes in 531 (poss plain gauge too) and 531 forks.
I recall an SR chainset and weinmann 500 brakes with hooded levers but can't quite remember which gearset - poss Campag gran sport?

Re:

Here's the photo's of the BB and serial number, It's 32796, there's also an F on the other side.

Thank you pigman, that would make sense, it did have the 500 brakes and some gran sport bits, the stem is SR with a viking handlebar.

Attachments

• viking bb.jpg
    viking bb.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,232
  • Viking shell.jpg
    Viking shell.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,232
My mates had one of those from new 1982 I think. Came with gran sport and weinmann mixed group. Got a pic i'll post

From the 1980 catalogue, available online at the vcc library

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,131
Back