Retro commuter recommendations...

stormed

Dirt Disciple
Hi all.
I have two bikes, my Vitus 979 which is my 'nice', dry weekends only bike, and my daily commuter/beater/work horse, a Boardm*n Hybrid Comp. This has probably done at least 11000 miles since I bought it in 2012, has been used every day, and has had new crankset, cassette, chain, BB, rear wheel, cables etc as and when they have failed. Its getting old..

I'm considering building a retro commuter to replace it with.
I quite like the idea of using a newer Alfine 8 hub, but the problem with that is the rear spacing is 135mm and I don't know any old frames which have this (anyone??).
I don't want a single speed!!!
Another stipulation is mudguards. Can modern road racer mudguards fit most bikes, as this is for all-weather use?
I would like to have bullhorn bars too.
I need some ideas as to what frameset I can use which hasn't got silly geometry, and is retro, so preferably Reynolds or Columbus tubing and preferably a threaded headset. Pics are welcome too.

My winter commuting/carrying bikes...
P1033380_zpsv8fhjqdu.jpg

PA252743_zpspaueeftt.jpg

PB293080_zpsiag7w7lt.jpg

All steel.

Re:

So your Boardman is getting old as you say, and you want to replace it with something older?

My bikes are between 56 and 60cm, by the way. Riding position much the same for all

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":21pdrse7 said:
So your Boardman is getting old as you say, and you want to replace it with something older?

My bikes are between 56 and 60cm, by the way. Riding position much the same for all

Mike

Hell yeah!!! This is retrobike, isn't it??? :D
An older steel frame, not shagged components.

same here between 50 and 54 cm frames
if your looking to run an Alfine with a 135oln you will need to use a road frame from the mid 80s onwards with an oln of 130 anything less than this will over stress the rear stays and the risk of frame failure is greatly increased. Shimano also do an Alfine and Nexus in an 8speed with an OLN of 132.5 which is your best option as for frame choice thats down to you look for a touring audax frame with relaxed geometry and not a race frame. My choice would be a steel MTB frame with the required 135 oln (the actual terminology is over lock nut dimension) old in american speak :facepalm:

Back