SRAM S500 brake levers - are they comfy?

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hi guys,
I am having troubles finding aero brake levers that offer a similar level of comfort to modern brifters. On my commuter bike I have Claris levers and they are plush!
On my steel bike I tried Tektro RL340 and the TRP RRL, but neither is that comfortable. It's not that they are not soft, they are smaller and offer less surface area where to place my hands (I am short but I have big hands).
Has anyone ever tried the SRAM S500? They are pricey, and not very retro...but maybe more comfy?

Kind of. They are very comfy on the hoods but if you ride fixed or just pull up on the bars a lot its uncomfortable. There is a cavity where the shift lever would be on double tap lever which is quite sharp. Also the levers are unsprung as the spring is in the shift mechanism so you need good outers and a strong calliper.

Thanks. That's very useful insight.
Doesn't quite make me want to buy them...

I saw that Tektro makes the RL520. Are they similar to the 540?

Thanks. That's very useful insight.
Doesn't quite make me want to buy them...

I saw that Tektro makes the RL520. Are they similar to the 540?
I have big “working hands” And for me, I like the trp rrl levers so maybe I’m not much use. Also a fan of the slr shimano levers.

I never tried the Shimanos.
Are you not finding the RRL too small?
I now tried placing them in what looks like an awkward position, quite angled up, but that feels better. I'll go for a ride to test them out.
Any excuse is good for a test ride ;)

I never tried the Shimanos.
Are you not finding the RRL too small?
I now tried placing them in what looks like an awkward position, quite angled up, but that feels better. I'll go for a ride to test them out.
Any excuse is good for a test ride ;)
They’re one of the biggest. The sram are a little wider though.

Maybe it’s a habit thing. Most levers only got bigger to fit everything in. I shattered my middle finger so it doesn’t bend fully but still manage with old school levers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 4
You might be right.
Also, putting on bar tape will help, as the back of the palm is currently sitting on the handlebars.
Maybe I should do that instead of playing endlessly to fins the perfect position for the levers

Back