Gearing Question

Yorkie

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys
First in probably a long line of naive questions. I'm restoring an '83 Hirame road bike. It currently has a 5 speed freewheel of 24 - 14 size and a single chainring of 52t. I haven't ridden it with this gearing so have no idea as to whether it's suitable. Will have to put on a new crankset as one crank is u/s but quite like the idea of keeping it as a single on the front. Freewheel seems in good nick and I'm quite happy to use it again or change it for different ratios but again, like the idea of keeping it 5 speed. My riding of this bike will be varied terrain (can't avoid hills up here!) but I'm of 'mature' years (i.e. old!) so not a speed demon! Suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in anticipation.

Even if you are fit and strong you need a minimum of 39 / 23 to get up any serious hills. That's the sort of bottom gear that road racers have.

For the rest of us mortals (who have day jobs other than training) 34T front is a much better idea, especially assuming you are going to ride it in the Highlands!

And your question is ...?
Assuming you want to know if you will be riding or pushing up hills with those ratios, I think the latter. I'm in my mid 50s and can grind up most hills (but fast on the flat) and am glad of my 38/25 bottom gear. If you are set on single front ring you might want to look at MTB ratios and think about 46 or 48 paired with 11/34ish - this means new drivetrain time.

Alternatively keep the ratios and ride it once fixed for long enough to see how you find it. You might decide to keep it and add another bike for longer rides with hills.

Re:

A 52t chainring and a 12-24 freewheel is going to be a bit of a grind up serious hills. When I bought my falcon Majorca it came with a 52/42t chainring with a 12-23 cassette. It was a real struggle to get it up hills in even in the small/small combo. I switched to a 39t chainring and a 14-28 cassette and now hills aren't a struggle anymore.

I also have a bike with a compact 50/34 chain set with a 13-26 rear cassette. Again, it helps me eat hills for breakfast.

Hope my input helps

Re:

Why not sling a 42 on it? I's not particularly low but it would be the same as the inner ring if the bike had come with a conventional double. Much easier than the 52 , it would give you a chance and you just push the nasty ones.
Its just a feature of old bikes, like less effective brakes. To me that's the charm rather than taking a old bike and making it into a new one. Others prefer to compromise. Fair enough. your choice but if you are going to go modern with the front why not add a few sprockets at the back as well. Starts to snowball doesn't it?

I run a 46 front with a 22-16 rear and can climb most hills.

I'd not go too far below 46 teeth at the front as on the flat you'll be spinning out in top.

Gearing.

The OP doesn't say what chainset he intends to buy (single ring = track) but 42t would be a good compromise with perhaps a change of freewheel.

On my 1980 Allin I run a 48t/42t (Campagnolo Nuovo Record) chainset : and a five speed 14-30 freewheel. I find this covers the majority of my touring needs in the south of England (Weald, South Downs).

A Campagnolo Rally rear mech does excellent duty with the 14-30 freewheel.

The only bicycles I have with a single chainring are 1950s period with hub gears (50t and a 48t).

Rk.

N.B didn't think Inverness was that hilly unless you venture way out west!

Latest posts

Back