l'eroica pedals

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I would not mind doing the L'eroica next year but I have an extreme aversion to toeclips. Given I will be riding if I do this my 1980 Alan which is a period race bike I would want to fit some very early Look clipless pedals. The rules I think allow this can anyone confirm that they do and this is also the case for the U.K version of the event. I take my my previous hostility to the U.K event but I would prefer going to Italy.

Also what pedal model am I looking for do any exist anymore where can I find one. I have seen on velobase some other clipless pedals from 83 would these be allowable too?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Look pedals.

Look made the first commercially successful clipless pedal (available from 1984), Bernard Hinault won his fifth Tour de France in 1985 using them.

See image below, I am fortunate to have a pair of these (bought new in 1986).

Jon.

Attachments

• firstlookpedal.jpg
    firstlookpedal.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 739
Good I am looking for those then but the rules need to change. All pre 1987 kit should be allowed as that is all period! Excessive rules spoil peoples fun. I they don't want clipless pedal then make it so only pre 1982 bikes can be entered.

Pee's me off that 99.9% of clipless can't be used, the rules should be changed to allow the very early LOOK pedals to be used.

Why should the rules of any successful event be changed to accommodate someone?

The rules exist to preserve the spirit and appearance of the event, clip pedals are an obvious visual cue that a bike is old.

Of course early clipless pedals are period correct but it's not about that it is about the look, feel and spirit of the era ... The whole point of going to the event is to indulge in that ...

Montello":19crk354 said:
Why should the rules of any successful event be changed to accommodate someone?

The rules exist to preserve the spirit and appearance of the event, clip pedals are an obvious visual cue that a bike is old.

Of course early clipless pedals are period correct but it's not about that it is about the look, feel and spirit of the era ... The whole point of going to the event is to indulge in that ...

+1. If I ever make it to L'Eroica I'll be going back to the good old days of toeclips. It's really just having to buy another pair of shoes that puts me off getting some now TBH.

Mark.

Latest posts

Back