New Path Frame with Fancy lugs HELP!

SNight

Retro Guru
Just acquired this gorgeous path frame which I stumbled upon by chance. It has a nervex bb bracket and a matching frame and fork number of 23068.

It has at one time had fully chromed lugs at the head tube and fork crown, the lugs are quite fancy.

It has track ends and eyelets for mudguards.

The wheels came with a job lot that I purchased with the bike, so just popped them in to take the photos.

I would really appreciate some help with regards to identification?

Nice :) not sure why but it made me think of old holdsworths with chater lea fittings......

Shaun

Re:

It came with a box full of stuff! And 4 pairs of wheels, all sprint rims! There was a chater lea crank set and pedals if that helps

Re:

Nice frame, delicate in places but build for a purpose, all I do is help with elimination, similar but not a Macleans Apollo, not a Holdsworth, either. Other fancy lug cutters, HE Green and Pat Skeates had serial numbers starting with the year i.e. 53. So where does that leave you, it looks early fifties, but thats about it, no other clues, could you check the serial number isn't 6 digits, maybe a faint trace, if so R.O. Harrison might be worth looking at, from a distance the bottom bracket is Hurlow'ish in decoration but that's just comment, I very much doubt he was involved, based on some of the other lugs, but I mention it, as the builder may of been working with him, I believe he was helping out at end of the Rensch/Paris saga about this time ( not a Paris either the serial numbers only go up to 6000 ish ). Not a lot to go on but I hope it helps. Terry

Re:

The fork number is situated on the rear side of the steerer tube. Here's a few photos. Also hardly visible under the serial number is another stamp that reads something like;

A&F
8.9 (The 9 could be an S, it's difficult to see)

Re:

Thanks DrJo. Those lugs are identical to mine and the frame numbers would tie in too. Reading up a bit more it also states that that model could of been made with track dropouts also like mine. Thanks very much.

I'm guessing that this was quite a good frame in its day then?

Back