Chrome frame - sealing abraded areas?

RobWJL

Old School Hero
I have had to file and sand areas of my chrome frame to get shifters (and headset) to fit. This now all seems fine (besides crude appearance - see attached)

Do I need to seal or coat these areas to prevent future corrosion? I presume the internal tube faces of a steel frame are raw and untreated, and do not corrode significantly due to lack of exposure? Do I apply same logic for the abraded areas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 11.22.27.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 11.22.27.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 282
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 11.22.27.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 11.22.27.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 282
That chrome looks quite good :D

Inside of the frame will be sealed by the interference fit and a touch of grease, unless you want to go down the route of those liquids that you pour inside frames to stop corrosion.

coat of something thin over the bosses wouldn't go amiss, nail varnish or a thin coat of hammerite smooth, after all they get painted in the factory.

Shaun

I'd buy some of that 'rust stop' stuff! You just brush on and it turns black when dried out
after that slap loads of grease around it, then fit the levers.

Rust inhibitor won't work on the copper bits - but they won't rust anyway though. A smear of grease over them wouldn't go amiss though.

Quality, looks like they've done a proper job and copper plated before chrome plating to give you a super smooth finish.

I'd go with the clear nail varnish on any bare steel.

the copper will oxidise (black) and eventually corrode and turn green (carbonate) if left exposed, a thin layer of something and grease will help prevent that..........

I had a copper bike and it was a bit of a mare..........

Shaun

Latest posts

Back