ID help please

Davidwd1306

Dirt Disciple
HI,

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me ID this bike frame.

It has campag dropouts, chrome stays and forks, 65mm BB shell and ornate lugs frame number 4462, (I think the last digit is a 2)

I am planning on restoring it and using it for some classic sportives.

Many thanks

David

Attachments

• bkk1.jpg
    bkk1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 331
  • bkk1.jpg
    bkk1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 331
  • bkk2.jpg
    bkk2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 331
  • bkk3.jpg
    bkk3.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 331
  • bkk4.jpg
    bkk4.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 330
  • bkk5.jpg
    bkk5.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 330
  • bkk6.jpg
    bkk6.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 331
  • bkk7.jpg
    bkk7.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 331
No idea on the builder, there's not a lot that distinguishes it (apart from possibly the brazing of the 'fast back' seat stay /seat lug joint?). Nervex Professional lugs, cable stops etc. Bearing these in mind, the number possibly points to the 44th frame built in 1962? Looks a competent build however and should restore OK provided it's structurally sound.

Hi Shaun,

Thank you, just been googling El;lis Briggs and yes it seems that they used that seat stay system along with those lugs, not sure about the forks though. thanks for the tip.
D

viewtopic.php?t=209054

My first thought was a Woodrup, post 4 on the above link is my copper plated late 60's Woodrup with fastback seat stays and fully sloping fork crown. My woodrup had plain Prugnat / Bocama lugs which were becoming more popular hence my thoughts an "older" frame and Ellis Briggs sprang to mind.......

Shaun

Thanks shaun,

The woodrup is similar, but the wrong style of fastback seat stays. I have emailed ellis briggs with the frame number and pics. We will see what they say!

D

Re: ID help please - Ellis Briggs

Thanks again Shaun,

Ellis Briggs have confirmed its one of theirs, they are shortly getting back to me with the history.

Thanks again

D

Glad you found the builder :D

Classy looking frame and deserves a real finish and not a powdercoat job. Please keep the forks with the chrome.......to die for BITD.

Shaun

Just had it confirmed, it is a 1966 Ellis Briggs Gran Primo. I am going to have Ellis Briggs restore the frame for me and I think I am going to try and obtain a shimano 600 arabesque group for it.

Back