Frame ID - Retallick

Slbkr

Retro Newbie
I built this frame up recently with some modern kit but it’s an ongoing mystery who actually made it in the first place. I’ve had 1 or 2 tidbits when enquiring elsewhere but no positive ID. Does anyone have any ideas? It’s Columbus SL and has Columbus dropouts, an English BB, Gipiemme brake bridge and Andrew Hague seat bolt. The BB shell is marked SR and has 117 stamped on the DS and R 11 9 on the centre. Does anyone have any ideas?

IMG_2063.jpeg IMG_2086.jpeg IMG_2062.jpeg IMG_2064.jpeg

Nice looking frame but could have been built any one of a number of framebuilders. I (think!) I remember a rider BITD named Retallick who rode Time Trials in the West/South London area. Somewhere I will have result sheets with his name. Perhaps he later opened a shop and bought in frames if he didn't built his own? Yours could be 80's period?

Thanks for the reply. Your info tallies with what I’ve learned before, that there was a Ken Retallick who raced and later coached, and that’s it’s likely this frame is in some way connected to him. There’s virtually no other information out there though
beyond someone making a similar enquiry to my own on this forum in 2014 about a Retallick lo-pro.

I had one of these around 1987, from my distant memories, John Retallick built frames in the rear of Eric Suffill's cycle shop in Osbourne Street, Hull.
Mine was similar with Columbus tubing, the shot in seat stays and the same stickers! Eric was a master wheel builder with connections to Hull Thursday Road Club.

Blimey...Eric Suffill built my wheels back in the day (70's) not heard his name for years on end ! I rode for Hull Thursday and quite a few of us had our wheels built there.

Eric had every excuse under the sun for wheels not being ready, plus hated doing radial spokes lol

I had one of these around 1987, from my distant memories, John Retallick built frames in the rear of Eric Suffill's cycle shop in Osbourne Street, Hull.
Mine was similar with Columbus tubing, the shot in seat stays and the same stickers! Eric was a master wheel builder with connections to Hull Thursday Road Club.
Wow, it’s fantastic to finally find something out about this frame! There’s seemingly no info out there about John but he obviously knew what he was doing judged on this lovely frame. If anything it’s slightly too big for me but with some modern gear fitted it absolutely flies along! IMG_2708.jpeg

I wonder if Nigel Dean was involved somewhere, I think he was building frames in Hull about that time.

I wonder if Nigel Dean was involved somewhere, I think he was building frames in Hull about that time.
Derek Roe's brother was also a Hull based builder for a short while wasn't he? Ex-Falcon (Brigg) I seem to remember?

Back