Help with 5 speed build for Mercian

Ardvark99

Dirt Disciple
Hi All

Can anyone advise on a suitable set up for a 5 speed bike with either double or triple cogs up front giving me either 10 or 15 gears. I dont have a huge budget so either need to source parts on ebay or find decent prices on some new parts.

The build is to go onto a 1983 Mercian King of Mercia touring bike. The rear dropouts only have 120mm spacing so i am restricted and do not really want to cold set the frame. Ideally i would like to make the bike a fairly fast road bike as i already have a touring bike. So i would want pretty narrow tires and gearing which will get me up hills without too much pain but also be nice and quick. It does take 700c wheels.

I am no techy so excuse my ignorance on which parts i can put with what to get this moving. I see their are a a lot of Suntour 5 speed cassettes on Ebay but i am unsure how these would work with Shimano or Campag parts. At the moment i have a totally bare frame and fork so this is really a bottom up build.

So if anyone can help me get a spec list together for the drivetrain that would be a great help.

Pictures of the frame / fork can be found here: http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/...fleur/Mercian/

Many thanks

Andy

Latest posts

Back