New project - help/advice please!

Hugo

Retro Newbie
I'm going to look at a Dawes Chevron road bike tomorrow... It's described as 'in good condition but in needs attention'.
Does anyone know anything about these bikes? It's the first time I've done a project like this, any advice on what to look out for or avoid would be really helpful!
Also, if any of you have owned one of these or knows more about them, I'd be interested to hear what you think. I haven't managed to find much information about this particular model, although I have found a scan of an old catalogue from 1977 featuring some of the specs: http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Dawes-77/b7.JPG
Apparently it's the 22.5" frame, does anyone know if that means it would have the larger 27 x 1 1/4 wheel?
Any help you can give me would really come in handy.
Cheers! :?

Ooops...

Sorry, forgot to mention that I'm not a stickler for original parts or anything, I just want to put together something that's fun to ride and gets me from A to B... preferably with a little old-school style!

I had a Chevron many years ago circa 1977 - mine wasn't anything special, not Reynolds tubing and gears were Huret, ubiquitous Weinmann brakes, bars and stem were GB

Back