Dawes Horizon Advice

oddnumber

Retro Newbie
Hello! I'm looking for a piece of advice, if possible, on a Dawes Horizon I've seen on EBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285081796209

I'm looking for a steel frame that'd do a bit of light touring along the coast this year, and the above Dawes looks just the job and a bit of a bargain to boot. Does anyone know what sort of date it might be? Also, I'm guessing that size to be suitable for someone of my height of 176cm/5'9 ?

Thank you for any help or advice.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I think it's early 90's, maybe 93. It will do the job for you but 501 tubing is a bit on the heavy side, your money might be better spent on a 531 Dawes Galaxy.

Thank you both, I really appreciate it. @oaklec - I'm trying to spend as little as possible, in the current climate and as I don't actually *need* one, and thought a Galaxy more expensive?
@legrandefromage - by low spec do you mean the groupset? Would it not be functional enough? I'm not too concerned about weight as I'm 80kg myself.

Very similar to the Horizon and sold as a budget version of a more expensive model, this came with steel chainrings which I swapped for a lighter version (and with a handy trouser guard!)

The current gearing is ok (original Uniglide) but is is only for sedate trundling. If I had to commute I'd be late!

1648309625962105075604399499052-jpg.613870

@oddnumber have you seen this?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thank you for the advice everyone.
@legrandefromage - I wasn't aware of a Touriste. I've been looking at Randonneurs but nothing in my size has appeared in my searches. I'll keep an eye out for one of this now too, thank you.

@oaklec - I had seen that, thank you, but at 56cm it's a bit too big unfortunately.

Back