Bit of help/advice required

Brendan

Old School Hero
Finally picked up the perthus, its in a lot better condition than I expected and I had a Brucey bonus with it that I wasn't expecting but I need some advice on a couple of things....
5255615098_5678c82b1a.jpg

5254979993_c577af3563.jpg

Needs a good clean but on first inspection it looks like the frame is in very good condition, no real rust, couple of very minor surface sports on the chrome, few scuffs from storage but nothing of any significance.

Tyres are wolbers and from the spec look like the oringinals, I suspect this bike really hasn't been ridden much. There is no wear on the rims to speak of and it looks like the original rings and freewheel, some heel rub in a few places on the seat stay and also on the crank arms.

Came with a pair of Look Carbon pedals fitted and the original Shimano 600 pedals with toe clips were lashed around the handle bars using one of the toe straps! They are pretty much in NOS condition and judging from the complete lack of scuffs and clean threads have never been fitted to the bike.

Now, I only have one tow strap but that is easily solved as its a Christophe one and I know I can get those from SJS as NOS. The bar tape is shabby and needs replacing, again not a problem, the saddle is scuffed and the seat has a hole in it, but since its a turbo thats not a real problem either.

My major issue are the brake hoods, they are still in one piece but have got crap all over them, most of which I can get of with a mild detergent however they are quite sticky which leads me to suspect someone has had a go at cleaning them in the past with something stronger. Does anyone know if there is a good trick for cleaning these or if its better to replace, if its replace then where can I get some from, these seem to be rarer than hens teeth.....

My old hoods were white manky ones and I cleaned them with thinners. It took all the sticky stuff off and brought them back up to white again. Only problem was after a few months they were all manky and sticky again!

I got some replacement 105 hoods from one of the eBay shops. Can't find them at the moment but they are out there. If I remember I'll check back in and let you know the seller. I think they were about £10-15

Thanks for the reply, I suspect that the current R400/600 hoods you can buy will fit them, I have some R400s at home and will take one of the hoods off to try it. I know they are black but I can live with that, the stickiness i something else....

Back