index shifters/freewheel compatability?

naffets

Dirt Disciple
Wondered if using a set of downtube index shifters I have a set of mavics with a 6 speed freewheel does it have to be index specific as I wanted to run the pair of wheels on 2 bikes the other being friction.

Hi,
You have left out a bit of detail here and without the specifics, I don't know if it will work. The indexing will work if you are using a compatible set of levers, rear mech and freewheel. Usually that means that they are all one make etc although it is possible to mix and match sometimes. I suggest you try it and see but ensure that the limits are set to avoid damaging the rear mech. You can usually change the index function to friction by turning the screw on the outside although I could not say for definite that this is true of all indexed levers.

I hope this is of some use, more info would help,

Richard

Perhaps I was wrong but my concern is that if you have 7 speed bits you could move the mech into the wheel. Perhaps this won't happen

Richard

Re:

Thanks for replys a bit more info.
For my new build I have a dura ace 7402 rear mech (UP TO 8 SPEED)
my concern is I have a set of sach huret new success index levers which may or may not
be compatible with shimano? so from replys I can use a non index freewheel with an index system?
as I have a six speed set up on my other bike which is campag and was wondering if I
could switch the wheelset between bikes and just keep the same freewheel for both set ups??

indexing requires the mech and shifter to be compatible, and for the rear block to have the right number of sprockets

there's no issue using the same block for indexed and non indexed provided it has the right number of sprockets for the indexed shifter

TGR":smcb6ck5 said:
Perhaps I was wrong but my concern is that if you have 7 speed bits you could move the mech into the wheel. Perhaps this won't happen
I use a 7 speed lever on a 6speed. As long as the limit screws are set correctly then it works fine with a dead position on 7 I think (mine is unlabelled).

That must be an old compact 6.
Usual 6 speed has a spacing of 5.5mm, whereas 7 speed is 5.0.
A Shimano rear mech as about 1mm of float in the top jockey which helps, but it will still be badly out of alignment by a couple of gears and won't work reliably.

It's simplest to run both in friction. There is nothing to worry about with stuffing the mech into the wheel - that's what limit screws are for.

Back