XTR M900 versus M950 - Pricing?

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
I've noticed that recently the price of M950 has overtaken that of M900, both here and on eBay. Now, I'm talking purely in terms of good quality used, not NOS.

I collected a full M900 groupset in 2007 and, having been looking for M950 for a current build, I've noticed that like for like parts are costing me at least double what I'd paid for the older groupset. I think I did get some parts at a very good price, but I didn't exactly have to try very hard to do so.

I think towards the back end of 2007/2008 M900 went a little crazy. So am I witnessing the decline in M900 as a backlash to this hysteria or has everyone bought all the M900 they need?

Perhaps M950 was always expensive or is it creeping up due to it becoming 'more' retro i.e. older (for those that think of retro purely in terms of age)?

Another consideration may be the recent hike in cost of new bike parts, perhaps more people are looking to older XTR stuff as replacements for worn out modern parts?

Tallpaul":3mj6mrqq said:
Another consideration may be the recent hike in cost of new bike parts, perhaps more people are looking to older XTR stuff as replacements for worn out modern parts?

I think that's the ticket right there. Hard to consider 950 retro yet, and I doubt that for things like non disc hubs or brakes or derailleurs and shifters, you'd know the difference between modern and the 950 stuff. Actually, one could argue that only in cranks and bottom bracket has any real advancement been made since 950, and even that is a dubious argument.:cool:

1996 is late retro, newer than I know.

I think Shimano's price rockets have had an effect. People will pay more for all of the shimano stuff as it's still cheaper or comparable to the bottom end MTB stuff (SLX). Even M900 fetches more than when I joined this site and probably a lot more than when you where looking in 1997 as there are more people trying to buy what is left.

kase1983":1kostxdl said:
M950 crep in around 1996, how can you not call it retro?

Good point,well made ;)

Or add the spare different coloured ano bolts you have no home for and call it Rasta :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

kase1983":2czcu30m said:
;)

.considering folk are calling there 1999 fat chance's retro & that M950 crep in around 1996, how can you not call it retro?

:LOL: Hey, I still think we should do away with the 1998 and up board, and that wipes out 80% of 950 XTR! AND that 99 Fat Chance! :D :D

dyna-ti":2czcu30m said:
Or add the spare different coloured ano bolts you have no home for and call it Rasta :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
HA! :LOL:

Another thing is that 950 looks so tatty after a little while because of that weird anodising so good stuff is hard to find. At least 900 can be polished up.

Therefore in my mind that's why nice looking 950 is costing loads.

Back