Retro fit Disc frame mount?

Wold Ranger

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Got a nice Kona Cindercone today, which will be getting a nice shiney custom finish soon, as the paint is Fubrd, was considering having a proper disc mount and brace brazed on by Bob Jacksons and the Canti bosses removed at the same time, what's the views on having this done?
They make a really tidy job having seen this done!

If done properly it looks great. Classic looks with all the mod cons of modern riding. Go for it!

As above, go for it, don't even think about not doing it !! Make sure that they remove the brake cable stops and fit cable tie type hose guide braze-ons while they are at it.
For any bike that's going to see real use, disc brakes are the biggest improvement that it's possible to make, in my opinion.

If you need the brake hose cable tie braze on's try Ceeway cycles. I got mine for the alpinestars from there, they were a few pence from memory.

Yes, I got mine from Ceeway (Art.200). They cost next to nothing and you'll only need five (three for the top tube, two for the chainstay).
If Argos are doing the job they'll have them anyway I suppose.

When you get them fitted to the top tube you might take into consideration where they'll cause the least problems if you ever transport the bike on a bike carrier of any sort - just a thought.....

I was all for doing this on my Roberts. I even posted up on here (where incidently the majority view was "dont do it" at the time.

My thought was "pfft my bike my rules!"

Then when it actually came time to drop the frame off for the work & a respray, I chickened out and left it as Chas intended it. And to be honest I am glad I did. Thats not to say I wont do it in the future to a different frame, but the Roberts was a little too special for me to be chopping up.

Brakes

I have mixed views too, the Kona is never going to be used for long gnarly downhills, but on the steep banks around here, believe it or not, even some modern racers still use Vees, as its not so much just the weight, as modern discs are now matching V's overall, it's the weight off the rotating mass, i.e. the wheels that makes all the difference.

Caldera

Did you alter the rear mech routing too? Mine goes from left of down tube, to under bottom bracket, across the underside of downtube, which is weird!

Latest posts

Back