Retro fit Disc frame mount?

carlos-g":14bad3wp said:
Not sure where you are in North Yorkshire but check out this guy....
Chris Marshall , he builds some cracking road bikes and welded a disc mount to an aluminium 2000 GT i-drive I used to have ,he made a fantastic job of it and it may be closer to you than Bob Jacksons ,he's in Keighley

http://www.yell.com/listings/DoFindList ... nd-Repairs

Unfortunately its 20 or so miles further, I'm over near Malton/Pickering, but may he be cheaper? Aslo not so much traffic to negotiate!

I'm not sure what Bob Jacksons charge , but Chris charged me £35 all in (disc mount from Hope / welding / heat treating) ,this was in '02 so the price has probably gone up a bit now but it's only going to cost you a phone call to find out !

Charges

Jacksons charge £63 for disc £16 for removing Canti's then £35 for altering cable routing, so nicely over a £100 then my local man would do the repaint. Have had re enamel done before and like Argos, it ain't very tough. My local guy? Even hitting it with a hammer won't chip it! Same finish used on MX frames and is chip proof and flexible.

I was at Chris Marshalls last weekend (JESUS WHAT A WORKSHOP THAT IS!), antiquated, full of paint, beutiful handcrafted bikes, a quiet grubby bloke going about his craft in a maze of steel and bike bits...... and in a workshop the size of your cellar, I was in awe.

I too have a 96 Cinder Cone that needs stove enameling with a rear disc mount. He wants 72.50 for the shotblasting and paint finish plus a bit for putting on new decals, and 30.00 for the rear mount and 5.00 for fitting. He will aslo remove, fill and finish the old v mounts if required, again I assume for a nominal fee. New mounts will aslo be charged at a fiver.

He has quoted me 3-4 weeks.

It really is a tiny little hovel isn't it! :LOL: more like a very tall shed ,but the guy is a genius, is he still turning out those weird and extremely wonderful paint jobs?

I can't believe his price for fitting a disc mount hasn't gone up in 7 years :shock:

Shot Blasting

My local man is £35 for chip proof coating in any custom colour £50 for frame and forks including Vapour blast (Uses Glass dust so more gentle) turnaround 3 days or less!! He uses some special coatings, designed for motor sport use, way better than enamel.
Trouble is it needs all cables re routing too, so cost could run dear, I'll ring him tomorrow.

ive never ridden with disks and dont have any plans to eather but i would say do it, cindercones a quite popular and you can alway find another if you want to go back to Vs.
you got me thinking now mabey i sould do one of mine, i have 4 :roll:

Re: Shot Blasting

Wold Ranger":2q2kdk1p said:
Trouble is it needs all cables re routing too, so cost could run dear, I'll ring him tomorrow.

Well, you could save some money by removing the canti mounts and cable stops yourself, just leaving the fitting of the new stuff to someone else.

If you can use a hacksaw and a file? - that's how they would do it.

Cindercone

Next problem is whether to stick rigid or Suss? Any idea what axle crown she should take? Think its a 96/97 model.

Latest posts

Back