The South Downs

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
I've just read that the South Downs will be made a National Park. Very good. But what does theis means for us? Any changes to rights of way?

I cycled from Hove to Devil's Dyke then on to Littlehampton, then back to Hove via some of the South Downs way.

Twas lovely.

I doubt it will change access rights, especially since you can ride four legged manure factories along it.

tintin40":1t6lrs1h said:
I've just read that the South Downs will be made a National Park. Very good. But what does theis means for us? Any changes to rights of way?
If anything, it will improve them, but I wouldn't expect too much.

There is at least likely to be some possibility of extra funding for access improvements. The official justification for restricting paths to footpaths is often that 'improvements' would be needed before they could become bridlepaths, and of course improvements cost money and there is no money. Oh what a shame, it'll have to remain a footpath. If there is at least some money, this could improve.

But rights of way is all down to horseriders. As far as I can see, mountain bikers are completely inactive in doing anything about improving rights of way. We owe everything we have to the equestrian organisations, who are much more active and effective. The problem with that is that there are lots of paths that are good for bikes but no good for horses, so those paths we don't get.

Anthony":21xt2izs said:
As far as I can see, mountain bikers are completely inactive in doing anything about improving rights of way. We owe everything we have to the equestrian organisations, who are much more active and effective. The problem with that is that there are lots of paths that are good for bikes but no good for horses, so those paths we don't get.

Not a member of IMBA then? - I know they're not great but for the level of suport they get they do a good job

Kestonian":3ifiz05n said:
I doubt it will change access rights, especially since you can ride four legged manure factories along it.

great description :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Joe":1fj82tyj said:
Anthony":1fj82tyj said:
As far as I can see, mountain bikers are completely inactive in doing anything about improving rights of way. We owe everything we have to the equestrian organisations, who are much more active and effective. The problem with that is that there are lots of paths that are good for bikes but no good for horses, so those paths we don't get.
Not a member of IMBA then? - I know they're not great but for the level of suport they get they do a good job
I am very sympathetic towards IMBA Joe, but as far as I can see they are completely inactive in Sussex. I am a member of the Countryside Access Forum for West Sussex (i.e., the LAF) and I have attended meetings of the East Sussex and Brighton and Hove LAFs. None of the Access Officers had ever heard of or from IMBA until I told them about it.

I agree with Anthony , most of the routes I ride are there for the horses .

the other ones are just footpaths..... :?

Horses?

So, back on track - my feeling is that the South Downs will now become the same as all the other national parks, in that it's about preserving what's there, controlling development, and maintaining/improving access & facilities where money is available.

Will it affect the cycling? No, in the same way that cycling is unaffected in the Peak District, Brecon Beacons, or Yorkshire Dales.

This made me chew more slowly on my pizza.

For a new route, I tend to look at explorer maps and use the rights of way to work up a circuit. Then as I get to know an area, I'm open to working in some short cuts.

For instance, if a public footpath was passable and suitable, I'd ride it; if a non-rights-of-way track led to open access areas, I'd ride it; if an open access area was rideable, I'd ride it.

[Check out a map: there are some open access areas that have no apparent right of way leading to them: maybe ramblers have a special helicopter with gaitors ....]

I leave gates as I find them, take off my hat to ladies and make soothing noises to passing horses and nursing cows. But as a cyclist and a walker, I'm not too fussed for the finer points of the differences between a bridleway, a green lane, a footpath or a track.

Now, I should say that round my way there isn't too much competition for many of these backways, so I suppose my question is:

Do the tensions about rights of way and conveyance type [e.g. horse, foot, bike, motor crosser, paraglider] stem from the practical fact that some areas are just oversubscribed ....

or .. are there better reasons for the land use apartheid that we have in this country?

Phew.
;)

Latest posts

Back